Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22 rifle suggestions/pics/favoroties >

22 rifle suggestions/pics/favoroties

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22 rifle suggestions/pics/favoroties

Old 03-07-2006, 01:53 PM

Default 22 rifle suggestions/pics/favoroties

hey,

since it seems that i wont be able to purchase a handgun (for dumb reasosns stated in another post), i want to expand my gun collection somehow, and i think i want a little 22. What are some reliable, powerful, and hopefully quiet as possible. I would love to look at pics or just recieve suggestions, anything will help. Hopefully i can work around the law in regards to the handgun, but if i cant, help me pick a good 22 rifle. Thanks a million

geterdun
Old 03-07-2006, 02:02 PM

Default RE: 22 rifle suggestions/pics/favoroties

Well, if you'd like a compromise between a handgun and rifle browing makes a buckmark "rifle" which is a bucmark pistol wil a long barrel (something around 15") with a stock attached to the pistol grip. Beratta also makes a "Neos" pistol that you can buy a carbine kit for. Perhaps talk you dad into purchasing it for you (since it will have to be initially bought at a handgun...the carbine kit is extra) and leave as a legal carbine until you turn 21. The buckmark rifle isn't changeable.

A ruger 10/22 is hard to go wrong with. They are extremely popular, you can get any add-on you can think of, and they come in several configurations.

Pistols will be loader...but if you want something quiet look at remingtons "Subsonic" load. They aren't as powerful as the high velocity but they are very noticeably quiter than other .22 loads. Out of my buddies remington nylon you'd think it was a souped-up BB gun, and my 10/22 really likes them for accuracy. (I'll admit I probably just got lucky, but its a completely stock sporter barreled carbine and it'll throw a whole clip in just over 1/2" at 50yards)
Old 03-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I think you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Alot of after market parts to customize. Heres a picture of my squirrel sniper gun. It's a Ruger 10/22 with some after market parts.

The reciever and the barrel is the only stock parts. Has a Simmon .22mag scope, muzzlebrake, Dragunov sniper stock, Volquartsen hammer and trigger andsprings(crisps 2 3/4 lbs trigger),customize magazine release and bolt handle.This shoots 1" groups at 50yrds.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a121/lunker651/Guns%20N%20Ammos/?action=view&current=1fa62b1d.jpg
Old 03-07-2006, 02:43 PM

I agree 100% Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat, and now you can get 30round mags for $8-15 each. You can deck it out anyway you want. Theres about 100 stock options for it and it will last forever. useually go around $170-180 for wood/blue or 200-210 for wood/stainless. Would keep in mind that the old style has the clamp around the barrel at the foregrip. The new styles only have one screw holdin gthe rifle tot eh stock.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

geterdun....The first gun that I ever bought for myself was a .22...
Back in 1971...I bought a Remington 552 autoloader, still have it, in fact I shot it last week...I have killed a ton of squirrels with that gun...I also own a Remington 541-T...its a bolt gun with a Leupold 3x9x33 compact scope...That is the last gun that I bought, it has a blonde, curly maple stock, and will group 10 shots in a dime at 50 yards....The 552 cost me $69 bucks if I remember right, the 541 cost $419 for the gun and $269 for the scope...I love both, the 541 was a gift to myself but I will probably never kill as many squirrels with it as I did the one I bought as a kid....I am assuming that you don't want to spend $500 for a new .22....

Ruger makes a good one...WalMarts have one with a full size stock and a 22 inch barrel...they sell for $214 here in NC...It would make a good squirrel rifle...You can also buy a basic Ruger for about $169...As you may know you can easily replace the barrel, trigger and stock on a Ruger....Many guys trick them out, and have several hundred dollars in....

Marlin makes a good tube fed repeater...Model 60...I have a buddy that owns one and it shoots almost as good as my 541-T...I believe you can buy a Marlin for less than $150...

Savage also makes .22...but I have never shot one...

T/C makes a fine .22 auto...The Classic...I have heard of them, have shot one, but nobody around here stocks them...The Classic and the new 552 Remingtons will run about $300...

I would look at all these guns on their websites, decide if you want a bolt, lever or a semi-auto, figure out how much $$$ you want to pay and go from there....I would also go to Rimfire.com and do a little more research...Good Luck

Old 03-07-2006, 03:29 PM

I agree with what everyone else has already posted. Just make sure you learn how to use a semi-auto safely before you go shooting and have fun.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is hard to beat the Ruger 10-22 for a fun gun. You can also upgrade it as cash is available

I tend to like more unusual guns but still play with the Ruger quite often

Old 03-07-2006, 07:57 PM

ruger 10/22 all the way... so much fun... i should get a pic of mine
Old 03-07-2006, 08:08 PM

A .22 with a closed breech will be more quiet than a blow back semi-auto. I have a 10/22 and marlin 60 that are louder than my marlin 39 lever action or bolt action. I also like the remington sub-sonic loads they aren't as quiet as cci short cb's but they're more powerful.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:02 PM

here are some good old 22's

And some that are not so old either

from top to bottom

winchester 1890 pump
marlin 1892 lever
winchester 1903 semi auto
stevens favorite
browning bl 22
henry lever
marlin 39a lever
marlin 1897 lever
ruger 9622
browning semi auto grade VI

There are alot more too that I didn't post

I wish that I had all those 22s up above, thats for sure

Quick Reply: 22 rifle suggestions/pics/favoroties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.