Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking for an inertia shotgun, what's my options??? >

Looking for an inertia shotgun, what's my options???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for an inertia shotgun, what's my options???

Old 03-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Looking for an inertia shotgun, what's my options???

I'm looking at inertia shotguns. The only manufactures I can find are Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger. I know Benelli is the best, but costs an arm and a leg. I'm interested in the Franchi, but can't get much input. And I haven't heard much about the Stoeger. And I'm really wondering what's the difference in all these, other than added features, since they're all owned by Beretta.
Are there any other manufacture's that make inertia shotys? Also, do any inertia shotguns have a magazine cutoff? What's your guy's experience with reliability, ruggedness, etc.? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for an inertia shotgun, what's my options???

the inertia driven design is a benelli pantent and only companies licsensed by benelli can use the inertia design. Benelli, stoeger, and franchi are the only guns that have the inertia system. i know its slim pickins but its just the way it is good luck.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the old Browning a-5's were inertia driven.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

A5's were a long recoil design where the barrel and all recoiled with the gun.

Beretta also made an inertia operated gun but I can't remember the model at this time.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember if it was Beretta's 'Pintail', or the 3901 (perhaps that is the same gun) but if memory serves me correctly that was inertia operated.

Also Heckler and Koch made an inertia operated shotgun a number of years ago.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't used an inertia shotgun but, don't they have more felt recoil than a gas operated auto?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:33 PM

I've heard they have more recoil, but I don't know if its true because I've only shot the gas-operated guns. There can't be that big of a difference, though, becuase 12 gauges don't kick that much to begin with IMO.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, they will have a lil more recoil thana gas operated shotgun. Is it enuf to be a burden for the average shooter? No. They do have a sort of a magazine cutoff on them. If you don't push the lil lever on the trigger guard no shells will come out of the magazine.

Check into the Benelli M1 Super 90s, they are coming down in price.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Beretta also made an inertia operated gun but I can't remember the model at this time.
what is the difference between that and the Savage 775A that had the barrel move back when shot?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

BB, I believe the Rem. Mod 11 did the same thing.

Long recoil operation
Long recoil operations are found primariy in shotguns, particularly ones based on John M. Browning's Auto-5 action. In a long recoil action, the barrel and bolt recoil all the way back as a unit. Once its rearward movement is absorbed by its recoil spring, the barrel is forced forward by the spring, where it unlocks from the bolt and returns to battery. The bolt, after compressing its own recoil spring, is held in the rearmost position until the barrel returns to battery. At this point, the fired shell has been extracted and ejected, and a new shell has been lifted from the magazine. The bolt is released by the return of the barrel, and is forced closed by its recoil spring. Long recoil operated firearms have a distinct "double recoil" feel to them, the "first recoil" being the halting of the rearward motion of the bolt and barrel, and the "second recoil" being the heavy barrel returning to battery.
Developed in 1900, the long recoil action is over a century old, and dominated the automatic shotgun market for more than half that century, before it was supplanted by new gas operated designs. While Browning halted production of the Auto-5 design in 1999, Frastill makes a long recoil operated shotgunnchi line, the AL-48, which shares both the original Browning action design, and the "humpbacked" appearance of the original Auto-5.

Quick Reply: Looking for an inertia shotgun, what's my options???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.