Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 336SS sights?? >

Marlin 336SS sights??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336SS sights??

Old 10-23-2002, 07:06 AM
Spike

Default Marlin 336SS sights??

I just picked my first deer rifle. It's a Marlin 336SS 30-30 caliber. Decided on a Marlin 'cowboy' looking gun because my father had one when he hunted and took his first buck with it. My question has to do with the iron sights that's on it. I am having trouble lining up both. The back sight seems so dark it's hard to get the front sight in the middle notch of the back sight. Hope I explained that so that you can understand. I have shouldered other style of guns with iron sights and I have no problem.

Is there any modifications that you have done to increase the ease of using iron sights? If I can't become confident in shooting out to 75-100 yards I may put a scope on it. But I really want to be able to shoot this thing with iron sights. What do you think?

Also, what grain bullet would work best with gun? Are there any special loads that would increase accuracy?

By the way, this is a awesome looking gun. The walnut has lots of figure and character. The gun shop owner said that this type of wood is not normal on standard guns. It sure looks great!

thanks! -cowboy shooter in new england-

Old 10-23-2002, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Marlin 336SS sights??

AQssuming you are going to use the original sights, if there's a hood on the front sight, remove it and put it away so you know where it is if you ever want to trade or sell the gun. If you want a better sight setup for hunting, I'd try to find one of the old Redfield "Sourdough" type sights, or a large, highly visible bead, for the front, then put a good receiver sight, like a Williams Foolproof, on the rear. Take the rear open sight off, put a blank in the slot to protect it, and save the open sight to re-install if necessary. If you are not wedded to iron sights, put a low-powered, lightweight scope on the thing! This is best for hunting!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:34 AM

Also, you may elect to go with the WILLIAMS fire sights, very nice and well built fiber-optic`s cost approx. $40.00 avilable from WILLIAM`S GUN SIGHT OR BROWNELLS.

RON KONTOWSKY

CUSTOM GUNSMITHING CUSTOM PISTOLSMITHING
Old 10-23-2002, 08:36 AM

The ammo to start with would be remington core-loc 170gn, and take it from there.

RON KONTOWSKY

CUSTOM GUNSMITHING CUSTOM PISTOLSMITHING
Old 10-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestings. I looked up Brownells website and found a Williams Gun Sight called Fire Sight. Looks like a neat idea. I'm gussing it slides into a dovetail joint?

Tell me, what would be considered good accuracy using open sights at 100 yards? Pie plate? With my set up is that realistic?

Ron, I'm curious, why did you suggest starting with 170 grains rather than 150?

Old 10-23-2002, 11:48 AM

Why start with remington core-locts 170gn? What shoots good in your gun, might not shoot good in others. Personally I find All of the Federals and Hornady loads to be alot better then Wins and Rems. Quality and Accuracy wise.

4feathers, go here, lot of good info on the 30-30 and ammo.
http://www.sixgunner.com/mcpherson/3030.htm

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:47 PM

i owned a marlin 336SS 30-30win last year. used it one year than got rid of that thing. but what i had on mine was ashley peep sights. had to get rear ghost sight and new front post. they do come together. i was getting good groups offhand at 75yds with it by snap shooting.
give them a try.

Old 10-24-2002, 07:39 AM
Spike

I shot the rifle yesterday. It is a pleasure to shoot. I was however dissapointed in my accuracy. I have a gun smith here at work that said the Fire sight would significantly increase my ease of accuracy. I guess a peep sight or ghost sight would make it even more accuate. But what's that another $50/75?

What would be good shooting with open sights at 50 yards? at 100 yards?

Old 10-24-2002, 04:01 PM

well with all of my lever actions with the semi buckhorn rear sight's i have been getting uglu groups.
but about 6" would be good enough to take a deer broad side. just get it in the vitals. but you will notice some people want 1/2". all i care that it is good enough andf i feel comfortable in taking the shot.
with a scope your groups will be better.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:17 PM

4feathers, I have owned marlin lever guns for over 30 years and found them to be extremley accurate at the ranges they were desighned for , a fellow gave me some advice many yers ago that I have found to be very true, he told me not give up on the gun too soon that it would start shooting better the more i shot it, and boy was he right after about 40 or 50 rounds it started shooting very nicely!! 30 years later it is still one of my favorite rifles (30-30).also , I agree with some others on this forum ashley ghost ring sights are the way to go if you are determined to use open sights!!

Quick Reply: Marlin 336SS sights??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.