Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The perfect compromise.  Pump rifles? >

The perfect compromise. Pump rifles?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The perfect compromise. Pump rifles?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The perfect compromise. Pump rifles?

Heres my dilema, when I grab the iron sighted model 94 I see a deer at 200yrds on the other side of the lake, when I take the heavy stainless scoped bolt gun a deer will run past so close that if I can find himin the scope Ijust see brown.

I'm looking for middle ground, and want a pump action rifle, scoped with see thru rings.

What are my options?
Who (if anyone) makes (or made) a good medium weight 30 cal rifle in a pump action?

Thanks guys
Old 02-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The perfect compromise. Pump rifles?

I hate seethru scope rings. You will have less of a fov looking thru those rings then a low powered scope. If I were you I would go for a 2x7 1.5x5 scope that way you can still see close and can shoot far also. Plus you wouldn't have your scope mounted 4 inchs above your bore which will also cause problems. As far as the pump action goes that would work great if you need to shoot more then once. check out the remington 7600. Have you ever looked thru see thru rings? Maybe its just me but Im so use to pulling up my rifles and looking thru the scope I would probley forget about having those ugly cumbersome rings on my gun.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 PM

I found that to be the case so my solution was to get a Remington model seven in a flat shooting calibre (260rem of course) and I got a 2.2-7X36 Kahles Mounted on Leupold low rings.
It comes to the shoulder like a fine shotgun and is very fast and pointy and has exceptional balance. With the power set on 2X it is great for hitting running game such as pig’s and foxes as close as 10m and with it cranked up too 7X it is great for long shots I even snipe rabbits at 200m with it quite easily.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Remington made plenty of pump action rifles. The remington 7600 is offered in your desired 30 cal. the 30 calibers thatit is offered in are .308 and 30-06. The 760 is also a pump made by remingtonand offered it in 308 and 30-06 as well. There is also the model 6, offered in the same.

There are also many other calibers that have been offered in these models that are good too. .243, 270, 280, and even the 35 whelen and 257 roberts has been offered.

If you are looking even for further choices, remington offered other pump rifles before these. They had the model 14 and model 141 and they were offered in 30 rem., 32 rem, and 35 rem.

Alot of guys have put see-through scope mounts on the model 760 and 7600 models.

hope this helps or atleast can point you in some positive direction. Good luck
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Appreciate the suggestions but my bolt rifle already sports a 2x7 scope that I leave on 2x untill I see something far away. Problem is I'm right handed but left eye dominant so I have real trouble keeping both eyes open and making a quik shot.
Like I said, I already have a light quick gun, and a heavy scoped gun, I'm looking for a compromise for when I'm just not sure which gun to grab.
I will look into the rem7600.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am with the others concerning those crappy see thru rings. Not only do they force you to hold your head completely off the stock (bad bad bad) but they are incredibly weak and it doesn't take all that much to knock them out enough to make you miss at 50 yards.

EDIT after reading you last post.

I think your problem lies with having a mismatched bolt gun/ scope combo. You say it's a heavy gun with a 2-7 power scope. I sounds to me that the gun may be to big and cumbersome for quick, up close shots and you just can't pick up the animal quick enough.

I honestly think you should look at a compact bolt gun in the 308 family of cartridges and put a 1-5 power scope on it. At 1 power it will essentially be like looking through see thru mounts but with a much better field of view and ten times stronger.

Also go to the range and practice quick shots with both eyes open. I know it is unnatural to do this being as we are trained to close one eye with the higher magnification scopes. That's why you gotta practice this style of shooting. Once you spend some time at the range doing this you should become very proficient at shooting with both eyes open.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Tschael what was said by 260rem is pretty sound advice.
I have done all the things you are trying to do but it just doesn't work the best, expecially high mounted scopes, like 260 rem said get low mounts and rings, mount your scope low, and get scope the right distance from your eye so when you throw it up quick everything is clear.
The reason I said it doesn't work is because as you get older using iron sights you will get focussing problems as most of us do, it just comes with age and you will have to change to a scope, so start now its to hard to get good at when your older.The only other thing I would suggest is get a dot it is the best for fast inclose shooting and the easiest to get to master
I have attached a photo of my gun for deer hunting.
Model 7 Rem .308win 18.5" barrel, high tech specialties light stock17oz
a 1.75 to 6x Leupold with dot from Premiere Retical total weight with sling,bases & rings and pad,scope, 6.7lbs
Old 02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: tschaef

Heres my dilema, when I grab the iron sighted model 94 I see a deer at 200yrds on the other side of the lake, when I take the heavy stainless scoped bolt gun a deer will run past so close that if I can find himin the scope Ijust see brown.

I'm looking for middle ground, and want a pump action rifle, scoped with see thru rings.

What are my options?
Tschaef
I saw the XS mounting system on a hunting show where the scope is mounted on lever guns way down the barrel and use long eye relief scopes
they say that you can get on your target faster and they are easier to shoot with both eyes open.

So use the old 94 to kill that 200 or 10 yd deer. With the XS and Hornadays new lever revelation.
Check out the veloity and traj. chart

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/leverevolution.asp

http://xssights.com/
Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Rem. 7600 in 35 Whelen. I have a 1.75 X 5 scope in low mounts. I don't have any trouble getting on running deer with it. I keep the scope on the low setting, gun handles and points real nice.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is another point concerning pump rifles. The pump action is only slightly faster than a bolt gun at making a second shot and that's the only place that a pump rifle would be of any benefit over a bolt gun.

Another point is that the 7600 is set up to be shot with iron sights with the way that the stock is designed. It has too much drop to use even a low mounted scope with out lifting your cheek off the stock and then to add see thru mounts essentially makes you chin sit on the comb of the stock. Not a good thing if you want to make long range shots.

A good option may be Rugers frontier rifle with the "over the barrel" mounted scope. A leupold "scout" scope on this gun makes for an incredibly quick handling rifle and you should be able to handle a 200 yard shot with ease being that it is a 2.5 power scope. With the scope mounted over the barrel away from your eye it makes shooting with both eyes open much easier to get use to.

Quick Reply: The perfect compromise. Pump rifles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.