Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Armalite

Old 02-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Armalite

Being 17 years old, I'm looking forward to buying an AR when I turn 18, which leads to my questions:

1. Will I be able to buy a semi-automatic AR when i turn 18?

2. I have done some research and I have decided to go with Armalite for the company. Do they sell to normal everyday civilians?

The model I'm looking at is this one: http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/m15a2.htm

3. Is my decision a good one? I'd like some feedback on whether or not I should make it my first AR

Thank you in advance for the help,

Tom
Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Armalite

In my state you have to be 21 and have a handgun permit to own a ar ak or similar weapons. You might want to check out dpms they have ar's too
Old 02-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dh4stretch3

3. Is my decision a good one? I'd like some feedback on whether or not I should make it my first AR

alot depends on your personal preference. First, have you ever shot one? The gun you linked to is the Hbar model meaning it has a heavy barrel. I owned one similar to that (Bushmaster Hbar) and found it to be heavy. I traded it in on an M4 which has the shorter and lighter barrel. I didnt want all that extra weight. Also the gun you linked to is the A2 which doesnt have the removable carry handle, on my gun I mounted a red dot so I leave my carry handle off most of the time. My recommendation is to go to a store that has a wide variety of Ar's and see what you like, after lugging around my H-bar for 2 years it didnt take long for me to handle the M4 and realize I like the lighter gun. Its all in personal preference. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:48 PM

Personally, I think you should look into DPMS. Armalite makes great rifles, but for the money you will get much more from DPMS. They have tactical, varmint, and lightweight models and depending in what state you live in, yes you can buy one at 18. Is an AR a great choice for a first rifle purchase, maybe not, but if you have been shooting for a while and know your firearms safety then I say go for it.