Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 looking into a 7mm-08 >

looking into a 7mm-08

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking into a 7mm-08

Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Spike

Default looking into a 7mm-08

I have narrowed to... rem. 700sps stainless
savage weather warrior 16fcss
rem model 7 stainless
tikka t3 light stainless
so which way to go? I know they are all very good rifles just wanted to get the opinions of the most knowledgeable hunters in the known universe.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking into a 7mm-08

If it doesnt have that dumbassbolt lock Id get the Model 7. Alot of guys here love those Tikka's though. I think they are ugly and they just dont fit me well but they must be very accurate and reliable for as many good reviews they get here. The new SPS rifle's seem to be priced great for what you get but I think they are ugly too. The Savages are good if you are on a budget or you know your never going to sell it because they use value quicker then a SUV with these gas prices.

The Model 7'sare light and usually accurate and will hold their value.I think that you'll be fine with any of the 4 just remember to shoulder them all to see what fits you bestand dont get a crap scope for it good luck.

Remember these are just my opinions for the most part.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 AM

I too will be getting a new rifle soon and a good friend of mine mentioned the barrel twist for what you are shooting.
I'm getting a .243 for instance and the savage has a 9.25" twist and remington only a 9 1/8". Check the websites and find specs.
"Choose carefully Grasshopper".
Old 02-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Spike

Ok no one has too much to say about my purchase decision.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

No...lol. They are all very good guns. Out of those 4 though Im gonna say Mod 7. Its light, shoots good, and easy to carry. I dont imagine you could go wrong on any of them. Just depends on what kind of hunting you will be doing as to the weight and length you want to tie yourself down with.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good choices to be sure but I'd push the Tikka T-3 Lite stainless. It's just plain a great gun. I have it in 25-06 with a silver Leupold VX III 2.5-8 X 36. It is an outstanding weapon. Light (about 6#14 ozs.) and points like a dream. Trigger is super and easy to tweak. The rifle just feels like an extension of my arm. If you like a little more heft check it out in LAM SS. Very nifty. The supplied rings lock well, but if you want a larger bell size (like over 40 mm) you'll have to get taller rings. It is drilled and tapped if you want to use others like Warne or Talley. I did switch out the supplied screws with stainless as the originals are kind of soft IMO. Cost a grand total of about $3.75. NBD. Good luck in your choice. 7mm-08 is a great choice BTW.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Tikka for sure, detachable mag, smoothest bolt, light, sako barrel and shoots like a dream.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 PM

I bought a Tikka Light in 7mm-08last November. This thing is SMOOTH, Light and SUPER ACCURATE! I'm headin for the cabin in the mornin for another shootin session. You're invited if you want to try 'er out!!!