Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to the site, looking for advice

Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default New to the site, looking for advice

Hello everyone. Im new here and had a few questions and thought I would introduce myself. I live in Missouri and originally from Kansas. I haven't been hunting in about 5 years but have been getting the bug lately! I just purchassed a Savage 270 bolt action last week and have yet had a chance to shoot it. I posted a link of the gun below and hopefully it works. Just curious to what you all think of this gun and how well it will work. Hopefully I will get to go fire a few rounds through it in a week or two. (don't have land where I live) I'm also looking at getting a new shotgun for turkey and pheasant hunting. Any suggestions on a nice affordable gun? I also have a Marlin 22. This was my first gun and recieved it as a gift from my Grandparents when I turned 12 (1992). Well I lost the clip for it and was wandering if anyone knew where I could get a new one. It is a Marlin model 25N. Im guessing they bought it new from WalMart but they dont carry a clip for it. Sorry for such the long post. Thanks

http://www.savagearms.com/111fcxp3.htm
Old 02-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Default RE: New to the site, looking for advice

Its pretty hard to go with a savage and go wrong, there very dependable and will get the job done, accuracy is among the best for price in my opinion, the .270 is a great caliber for deer, you shouldnt have any problem trying to take one down from 25 yards to 400 yards, glad to see you back in the sport,

As for a turkey and pheasent gun i dont see why the .870 express would be a bad choice, but if you want something to shoot a little faster i like the remington 11-87's or 11-00's, im sure youll get some other responses, look at the ones people talk about and see which one you like for yourself, good luck with them turkeys, 5 years into the sport and ive only shot at and killed about 30 paper targets,
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy and welcome to the forums. Hope you decide to stay.

A .270 is a great caliber, and Savage makes a great gun, as does nearly any other modern manufacturer. I noticed you got the packaged deal, and after some use in the field, you may find a need to upgrade scopes. The glass you have on your rifle is as important as the rifle itself. You'll get a better feel for it as you get a chance to use it.

As for shotguns, there a many options available. I haven't found any objectionable lately. The CZ 712 looks like a very interesting gun. It is an semi-auto at a very competitive price. I prefer semi-auto hunting shotguns over pumps, but that is just personal preference. Surf the Internet a while looking at them, and then come back here to ask about specific models and you'll probably get some good responses.

By the way, I wouldn't make it a habit of giving out gun serial numbers. The make and the model is specific enough. You might want to edit the number out.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys. I took out the serial #. I thought about it before I put it up but the only reason I did was I thought it might help as the few shops I've been to had no luck with the model number. Has anyone had problems with the 870 Express Magnun jamming up? That is what I used to have but it was constantly jamming while pumping it. Other than that I really liked the gun.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:26 PM

Your savage rifle will likely shoot with any gun reguardless of price,you just have to find the ammo it likes, most will do sub moa if you do your part. I know I've got three. As for a shotgun look at a mossburg and compare it to the others,you may decide it is a better buy,they make a very good gun.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage ALL THE WAY!!!!! Just bought my 5th Savage bolt action last week, and am tickled with it. Like North said, a replacement scope and maybe a trigger job is the only thing you may find yourself doing to that gun. On the one Savage gun that I bought that was a package I found after about 100 shots I bent the screws that hold the scope into the rings. A nice Leaupold one piece and rings took care of that.

* When I was using factory ammo, I found Federal premium ammo always shot good in all of mine.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the advise again fellas! Well I went out and bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 Field 12 guage a few hours ago. Can't wait to shoot it and the Savage. Wish I still lived in the country! Heres a link to the Maverick. Let me know what you all think. Does anyone have any experience with this particular gun? I mainly bought it for the name but decided on the cheaper one. If any thing it will look good in the cabinet! Thanks again for all the help! Btw, I bought Winchester Super X 150 GR. Power-Point shells for the Savage 270. Any suggestions for the 12 Guage. Turkey Shot.

http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88field.htm
Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry guys, one more question. I saw responses about changing the trigger later down the road. I know this gun also comes with the Accu-trigger option as well. I did not know this till after I bought the gun. My question is, what is wrong with the trigger on it now and the differences with the accu trigger? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Factory triggers are usually set fairly heavy, and some folks prefer to have them adjusted to a lighter trigger pull.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, if you have an accu-trigger model dont change it......they are top notch! Just have it adjusted down to 2.75-3 #'s

Quick Reply: New to the site, looking for advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.