Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hunting: Oil or No Oil? >

Hunting: Oil or No Oil?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting: Oil or No Oil?

Old 02-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting: Oil or No Oil?

Hey guys,

When hunting should you have your action oiled or dry? Is this different for just shooting at the range?

Also is this different for bolt action vs AR-15 style guns?

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-03-2006, 01:04 PM

Default RE: Hunting: Oil or No Oil?

Yes, the action should be oiled. A LIGHT film of gun oil on the bolt. Avoid too much oil, especially in dusty climes. Whilst hunting, you want the inside of the barrel unoiled. You DONT want oil in your chamber or on your sear.

While hunting (assuming cold weather) I always allow the rifle to come up to room temp before removing it from the gun case, to avoid sweating. I clean the action and the exterior of the rifle, then apply a light coat of decent gun oil, I prefer Eezox.

An AR-15 has a rotary bolt, which performs the same task as a bolt actions bolt does. I have never hunted with an AR-15. I did serve in the USMC. We were told to apply a light fil of oil to the bolt carrier group. Of course, I didnt care for the military's choice of gun oil, Break Free (CLP) sucks green tomatoes.

Side Note -Degreasing your bolt action rifle's action and bolt, then working the action a hundred or so times is a good way to increase the smoothness of your action.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:49 PM

About the only "no oil recommended" scenario I can think of is bitterly cold weather. When hunting is sub zero conditions with a bolt action rifle, I like to disassemble the bolt and spray the internals with Gun Scrubber (or Break Part Cleaner). After it warms up, you need to re-apply light oil.

The AR-15's need a certain amount of lube in the bolt carrier assembly to work. It is my understanding that as a result of our conflicts in Afganistan and Iraq, they are now recommending light grease for certain lubrication points that were previously lubed with the military Break Free - particularly the bolt carrier assembly internals and disconnector hook.

A lot of gunsmiths, including me, have gone to using the new synthetic oils. They do just about everything well . . .
Old 02-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my bolt action oiled with a very light film of oil for the cold weather and as for the AR-15 , I can’t comment on that style of rifle. I have no experience...
Old 02-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a light sewing machine oil on my actions, to include below zero weather. I found that it works and is not costly. When I had the "opportunity" (cough cough) to carry the M16 instead of a pistol, I was pretty much stuck with break free for lube. It seemed to work. I kept a rubber over the muzzle and the dust plate up, too. Never had to use the M16 in colder than -16 degrees farenheit though. But maybe some yote hunters have and will bring us up to speed.

Many years ago my local gunshop recommended using WD40 for firearms. Over time, I discovered it had gummed up in the innards of my 45! I stripped it completely and meticulously cleaned all the parts. Went back to oil and no problem!
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are very few places I put any oil on a bolt action rifle. One is a few drops inside the bolt body on the main spring, a tiny dot of high pressure grease on the cocking cam at the back of the bolt and only if it needs it for smooth operation.

Outside of that there are no places on a bolt action rifle that require any oil other than a very light coating on exposed surfaces as a rust preventative.

Now for semi autos there are places that do require a small ammount of oil or grease for good function. Such as on the action return spring, some bolt assemblies and the frame rails. Auto 5's must have the magazine tube shiny clean and lubed with light oil for it to function.

The big problem with gun oils is that soooooooooo many people use waaaaaaaaay too much oil on their guns and they don't clean the internals often enough. Too much oil is far far worse than using absolutely none at all because it attracts dirt, lint, dust, powder residue, unburnt powder, etc... and will cause the metal parts to wear much much quicker.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

We are substantially humid here. If you don't do a wipe down, it is rust. Plus I have been in places where my butt depended on things working; thus we lube.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! Lots of good info here.

Tom
Old 02-04-2006, 05:22 PM

As for hunting guns and rifles, for deer hunting. I don't oil my rifle (Remington 700) until the end of the season unless it gets soaked in rain. It may get a few spots on it here and there and may not look brand new, but I USE my guns and rifles just about everyday during season so I don't want to spook a deer with the smell.

I agree that people don't clean their guns enough. They just keep adding oil and adding oil. It builds up and gets gummy. I like to take mine apart after ever season and strip all of the oil out of them. Polish them up then put some good clean oil in them.

I've seen more guns mess up b/c of over oiling and gumming that being just plain out dirty.