Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver ??

Old 01-27-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Revolver ??

Has anyone ever tried the Ruger GP100? I think after talking to many other guys at the gun club, i hear its ok.

Anyone ever shot or own one? The GP100 in .357?

Thanks
Pines
Old 01-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Revolver ??

I have one in the 4" stainless shoots good looks good after all it's a Ruger what more do you need to say I also have A Super Redhawk in 44 mag and A Super Blackhawk in 44 mag they all shoot good I hope this helps chad
Old 01-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been looking at this same gun and have been getting feedback to go with the Smith & Wesson 686.

I looked at both guns a different gun stores and opted for the SW. Just won an auction for one tonight for $330.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Leathal diamonds, not to bash Smith&Wesson but I have on good authority [my dad] who has been selling guns for 35 years the Ruger hand guns are alot stronger than the Smith&Wesson guns like I said to each his own but the Ruger handguns will take anything you feed them. I shoot Buffalo Bore ammo in my Ruger's which are loaded max and then some and I have had no problems. chad
Old 01-27-2006, 09:23 PM
DM

I have on good authority [my dad] who has been selling guns for 35 years the Ruger hand guns are alot stronger than the Smith&Wesson guns
A lot of guys think this because the Rugers are heavier with thicker metal in the frame. But, that's NOT the whole story.

Rugers are a "casting", (pouring liguid metal into a mould) S&W "hammer forges" there frames. (beating a lump of hot metal into shape) Hammer forgeing is a MUCH stronger way to make a frame, so the Rugers HAVE tohave thicker metal, just to be as strong as the S&W's.

Drilling Man
Old 01-27-2006, 09:34 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: chma

Leathal diamonds, not to bash Smith&Wesson but I have on good authority [my dad] who has been selling guns for 35 years the Ruger hand guns are alot stronger than the Smith&Wesson guns like I said to each his own but the Ruger handguns will take anything you feed them. I shoot Buffalo Bore ammo in my Ruger's which are loaded max and then some and I have had no problems. chad
chma, just curious but how would he know that? did he do pressure testing? Failure analysis?

DM, Ihave always thought ruger was stronger too cause of bulk. But didn't know that little factoid. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a 4" Stainless GP100. Nice gun. Very comfortable factory grip.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one and its great. Very accurate with all types of ammo.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:57 AM
DM

Ihave always thought ruger was stronger too cause of bulk.
Given equil design strength, in "high recoiling" handguns the heavier gun will take more "heavy loads", meaning it will stay in time longer. If you compare S&W's lightest 44 mag. ever made to Ruger heaviest, the Ruger will stay in time longer. Reverse that with S&W's heaviest, and Ruger's lighest and the S&W wins...

This is with the heaviest loads, anything less than that and there's no advantage to the extra bulk when it comes to "long lasting".

At this point, your splitting hairs, and you have to compare "model for model", NOT make a blanket statement that Rugers are stronger or S&W is stronger...
Old 01-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its one of my fav revolvers- the gp 100 i have is the 4 inch blue with full underlug barrel. Yep nice factory grips& shoots reall nice to.I have put many round & reloads threw it.

I got it at a real good price new -yrs ago " the blueing on top was a lil thin/uneven & recenlty i found ugly blob![] of rust on the cylinder[&o]..... my fault.

I wouldnt mind a new stanless one either.

Quick Reply: Revolver ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.