Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Does this happen to you? >

Does this happen to you?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does this happen to you?

Old 10-18-2002, 08:42 PM

Default Does this happen to you?

I have noticed that after cleaning my rifle and taking it the the gun range, my first shot is usually a couple of inches off. After the first shot my groups are a lot better. Does anyone else have this problem? If it is a common occurance; why does this happen?

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2002, 09:03 PM

Default RE: Does this happen to you?

R U running a swab down it and making sure to get all the oil out of it?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

probally from leaving oil in the bore...i shot my first shot at game and never have a problem...i run a bunch of dry patches through to make sure its dry though...my dad actually told me to quit last year before the first day of deer season because i did it 3 times the night before because i wasnt sure if i did it and how good it was done lol..thats probally your problem..it shouldnt be bad off maybe a few inches at the most....

Old 10-18-2002, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like the others said it could be excess oil or bore cleaner. Guns are really individual, some of my guns are dead on and some shoot a little off after a barrel clean out. I would say clean it real well, make sure you dry patch it and see if this pattern holds true. As a general rule my final sight in session I don't shoot to many rounds, just make sure it is dandy and leave the bore until after season. I do clean the bore if it is required or real wet to prevent rust or pitting. I clean exterior and lubricate regularly during the season.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:11 AM

some gusn shoot best with a clean dry bore, some shoot better with 1 or 2 round put thru it. i dont think any will shoot best with a oiled bore

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 10-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its completely normal.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 10-19-2002, 06:39 PM

I thought I might have read somewhere that it was normal, I was just making sure. But the funny thing is, since I was getting a stray first shot after cleaning; before I went to the range last time, I ran a wire bristle brush through the bore then ran some (dry) patches. I didn't even use any bore solvent this last time and it still had an errant first shot. I have a ruger m77 markII, and have heard with some ruger barrels they were bored oversized and need the first or second shot to deposit gun powder in the barrel and then stabelize the bullet better. I have always thought this was a load of crap, but I am starting to wonder about my gun. Thanks for everyones reply.

Old 10-19-2002, 07:04 PM

.... some barrels are just rough. When you fire bullets down the rough barrel, you are "filling in" the (hopefully) microscopic pits and tool marks, which smooths the bore.... and groups shrink. That is why some people will not clean their bore during hunting season, once they have it "seasoned" with the right number of previous shots. It varies from rifle to rifle... I've heard of some that required 8-10 shots before it started grouping... some will group after the first "fouling" shot. I have heard that lapping your barrel will improve this situation, but I have no first-hand knowledge of this. I probably wouldn't fire-lap it, though, from what I've read about that process.
If your rifle is repeatable on the distance out of your first shot, then you should just allow for it on the hunt... if you have cleaned your bore before hunting.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 10-19-2002, 07:40 PM

You now know the reason a Professional sniper knows exactly where the frist shot from a clean cold barrel will hit.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before rifle season starts I take each rifle I'll be using to the range to verify zero on the scope by putting two 3 shot strings and purposely not cleaning afterwards, so I'll know exactly where the all important shot will go.