Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm

Old 01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default 7mm

I was looking to get a 7mm thissummer for the whitetail season '06. Just wondering what everybody's take is on them? Good? Bad? Too big? Too small? What is the general consensus?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 7mm

I guess you will have to clear this up a little. There are many 7MM rifles including the 7-30 Waters, 7x57 Mauser, 7MM -08, 7MM WSM, 7mm Rem Mag and the 7MM STW and 7MM RUM. maybe more. For Whitetails the 7x57 and 7MM-08 would be perfect Medicine. The 7mm Mags are all much more than needed for whitetails and would really offer nothing but more recoil over the smaller 7's. Unless you plan on game bigger than deer and want a 7MM, I would recommend the 7MM-08.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

7mm rem mag is a Great gun you will be pleased with it you should be able to kill almostanything in north america ammo is easy to find and reasonably priced
Old 01-25-2006, 03:31 PM

If it wernt for a weathey vanguard light weight in .243 weighs bout 6.5 pounds, i would carry nothing but a browning BBR, yea old school, in 7mm mag. it does a great number on deer and most likly anything else you care to hunt in North America .
Old 01-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like James B said, which 7mm? The bullet caliber itself, .284", is perfectly fine for deer hunting. However, the answer will depend on what particular 7mm cartridge you're talking about. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're talking about the 7mm Remington Magnum, but let us know for sure.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:59 AM

Which one? My brother owns a Remington 7mm Mag and 7mm-08. I have shot bot and he has taken numerous animals with both. Bot are great shooting rifles. No problems with either of them.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:51 AM

If your talking about the 7mm Rem Mag then I recommend the Stevens model 200. Is well priced and the name has been around for a while. Stevens was bought out by Savage a few years ago. Savage, in my opinion, has become one of the best all around hunting rifle makers in the US. I would put it in the top 3 of my favorite rifle makers.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Until I read these replies, I didn't know there were different 7mm's. I guess I need to do some more research before looking at them. That 7mm Rem Mag sounds pretty good. How flat do they shoot? How does it compare with the 7mm-08 or any others. Thanks so far guys. You've been alot of help.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

7mm Rem Mag is a great, flat shooting round. I have one and I love it, but for deer I find myself carrying my 243 more often now, just because it is lighter and shorter, and all around easier to carry. But for a treestand there probably won't be much spot an stalk, etc. The thing I don't like about my 7mm is the barrel length is 26" other than that it is a great shooter and anchors deer very well
Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

It seems from the other post that you've made you are new to high powered files. Many have mentioned the assortment of 7MM's. If you are new to rifles I wouldn't buy a 7 MM Remington Magnum as my starting point. The recoil is considered stout by some and may or may not be bothersome to you. If you are going to only hunt whitetail deer, mule deer, antelope, & similar size game I would go with the 7MM-08 or the 280 Remington. These are both 7MM in bore size and offer good performance. The 280 beats the 7MM-08 by about 100-150 fps with each bullet weight. Both of these calibers are available in rifles from Remington, Browning, & Ruger. There are other companies that offer these chamberings also. Both of these calibers are excellent for taking deer and they will not rattle your teeth when you fire them. It's much better to buy a gun that you can shoot alot and learn to shoot well than buying the biggest magnum made and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.