Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle Brake for Encore

Old 01-25-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Muzzle Brake for Encore

I've decided to buy a 300 Win. Mag. barrel for my Encore. I was just wondering if it would be worth the added expense to have a muzzle brake installed.
I am not really "recoil sensitive". At the present time the only barrel I have is the .50 cal. muzzleloader barrel. I don't mind the recoil from this at all. (using 2 pyrodex pellets.) seems to be less than my old in-line, CVA Kodiak.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:53 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Muzzle Brake for Encore

Not much more than for a 300Win mag. You will get a nice tap. The problem i have with breaks is the noice makes me flinch more than the recoil and where i hunt, that extra 2-4" on teh barrel is a hinderance. But to each his own.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:19 AM

That's what i have heard about the brakes, that they are loud. I figure that the total weight of the encore will be less than a bolt-action rifle, and therefore considerably more recoil. Maybe the way to go would be with one of Sims Labs recoil pads they make for the encore.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

You bet ya. Sims has a nice recoil pad. But my encore has a recoil pad already there. If it didn't, I would put the sims. Not sure if I would if it had stock on there.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:50 AM

Bigcountry, I was figuring on a Fox River barrel. Site islinked toT/C's site. Any experience w/ their barrels?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 AM
bigcountry

I always thought fox ridge was your typical t/C barrels. I know I get mine from midsouthsupply. Much cheaper.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 AM

T/C's site says that Fox River is their custom shop. Their prices weren't too bad and they have different length options and barrel contours. I don't think i want the heavy barrel due to the extra weight.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 AM

I have the synthetic stock and forearm on my Encore along with a .300 Win. Mag. barrel. Bought one of the prefited Sims Limbsaver pads and it
was a snap to put on.Simply remove the two exisitng screws holding the originalpadand replace with the new pad. Fit is quite good. Felt recoil is not bad - no need in my opnion for a muzzle brake. Besides, when shooting at game one never feels theshot go off!!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

A buddie of mine put a fox river brake on his 300 rum and it kicks like a 270 I was suprised at the difference I hate the things cause of noise though I would be scared if we had mountains I think it would cause a avalanche
Old 01-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you buy your barrel from Fox Ridge Outfitters you can have a brake installed while the barrel is being made for $49. That is a freakin steal. On a .300 WM Encore I'd say do it. You can get some of the new fancy electronic earmuffs to deal with the muzzle blast and stil be able to hear normally.

Quick Reply: Muzzle Brake for Encore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.