Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New .243...

Old 01-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default New .243...

OK... I just ordered my new rifle for the year... Wife (aka the accountant) allows one rifle and one pistol purchase a year. I have on order a Kimber Longmaster Classic in .243... Should be here in a couple of weeks. Anyway I have a couple questions.

1) Which scope out of these do you recommend...
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40
Leupold VX-II 3-9x40

I currently havethem sitting in boxes (purchased when Galyan'swent out of business last year)...

2) Can I shoot the 55-grain bullets or do you guys notice these are hard to stabilize... I want to switch between the 55 and 95 (or 100) grain bullets when I am in varmint season and when I am in deer season.

Thanks... By the way, last year it was a RRA AR Varminter and a Kimber Team Match... This years pistol was a Kahr PM9.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:21 PM

Default RE: New .243...

congrats! For the bullet stabilalizing you need to know the barrel twist rate.you have expensive taste,any of those scopes will be fine,good luck.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 PM

I think I would go with the Nikon 4-12. If you are looking at shooting 55 gr. bullets, you are definitely thinking about varmint hunting. The 12X is a big advantage on varmints. Standard twist for that rifle is 1:10, as I recall. The 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip shoots well out with this twist (actually just about any twist) with a full power load of H414. Or at least it has for me with three different rifles. Good luck. Roskoe

If I was limited to one per year, I would make it a good one too.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I was limited to one per year I would be in bigger trouble than I already am.[:@]
Old 01-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just wonderin'-------Do you think you could get your wife to talk to my wife--------?????
Old 01-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

My wife is ussually pretty good... Notice the price tags of the guns I purchas... Ussually not the cheapest... She is just starting to think any gun should cost around $1,000!!!!

I have nothing wrong with the other guns out there, they are functionally just as good as the elite gun makers... Any rifle will kill deer! But to me I like to build a relationship with my guns and while I am not even 30 I want to pass them on for generations!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Newguy,

In my opinion(as a proud owner of one), isn't the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40a bitlarge and heavy for the rifle you purchased? (I personally wouldn't even consider the Nikon)

Sounds like your definitely creating a half varmit/ half whitetail rig...the question is considering the money you are puting into will it really excel at either? (.243 not the best varmint caliber, the scopes aweful big and heavy for a lite whitetail rig...IMHO).

If I had to use the one gun you have already purchased I will tell you what I would do..

Purchase one pair of Talley scope bases and two pairs of Talley Screw Lock Quick Detachable rings. Sight the Leupold scope in for your whitetail load, and then sight the NIkon on in for your varmint load. Once this is done once you will not be wasting your time at the range multiple times a year sighting and resighting your gun every time you want to change between varmint and whitetail applications.

In the long run not only will it be cost effective by saving on ammunition costs, you will also have a few sets of great rings andtwo set ups. One that would be dedicated to varmints, the other to whitetails....both better thanthe original one scope choice...

Talley..
http://huntamerica.com/talley/#QD

Old 01-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

jcchartboy...

Very good points although... However looking at them both The zeiss is only marginally larger (an heavier than the Leupold).... The nikon is definately larger due to the fact it is a 4-12 an has AO adjustment. I was definately going to get Talley mounts, but am probably just going to use one scope so I will probably go with the one piece...

The Kimber Longmaster classic is not the lightest gun in it's own right... It has a heavy SS fluted barrel. I find myself to be more accurate with guns balanced with weight in the front. I also basically drive up to my deer stands... Walking distances less than 1 mile.

I will disagree with you slightly on one thing... To me the .243 excels as a deer cartridge... I have hunted deer with various firearms... 20 gauge, 12 gauge, .50 cal muzzleloaders, 7mm-08, .308, .30-06, .270, .257 roberts, 6mm, and .243... To me all of these guns with the correct shot placement will drop a deer humanely... I LOVE the .243 as it has minimal recoil and in my experience is a very accurate round. While whitetails is at the top of it's lethality list I would not hesitate one millisecond to let one fly on a whitetail and would guarantee a humane kill.

As for a varminting gun I somewhat agree... To me the "perfect" varmint gun would be a .22-250, which I might acquire later in life... But right now, with the right bullets the .243 offers a great varmint gun, especially for coyotes. With 55 grain bullets it is on the very fast and provides a flat trajectory whilenot making a severly oversized hole in a possible pelt.

Your imput is greatlyappreciated... I will consider a two scope system, but might go out and buy a new one for deer... maybe something with a 32 bell....

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will disagree with you slightly on one thing... To me the .243 excels as a deer cartridge...
Nope, no disagreement...I agree the cartridge is a fine choice.

I think you misunderstood me a little. I was refering to the rig being topped with an unnecesarily large and weighty scope as possibly not being the best choice.

Here is my Conquest in the Talley Screw locks..

Old 01-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Gotta love the zeiss... Especially since I didn't even pay $350 for it!!! Anyway great looking rig... I will probably have to go with medium height rings as my rifle will not have a contoured barrel... What caliber is that Savage... The chamber looks really small... BTW, nice looking rig... Have you ever used the one piece Talley mounts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.