Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester going under >

Winchester going under

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester going under

Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester going under

I think I'd rather pad a Union's pocket than a foreign government's.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

There's a thread about this over at leverguns.com. From the information there, the model 94 and 70 rifles will be discontinued as well as the 1300 shotgun. The only guns that will continue to have the Winchester name will be shotguns - the new SX3 and a couple of others models, which I think are made in Japan.

Sad. I grew up watching all those old Westerns and I thought a Model 94 was the end-all of American firearms. Why would you need anything else???
Old 01-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

The Winchester ammo is part of Olin corp(i beleive) so there shouldn't be any change in the ammo. they are the only factory to make .375 win rounds.
Bill
Old 01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

You are correct, Bill. Winchester ammo is separate from the firearms. Ammo will still be available under the Winchester brand.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:11 PM

What is is, the Olin Corp. owns the Winchester name and they sold the rights of it to US Repeating Arms who actually produced the rifles under that name in the Conn factory. Now they're trying to sell the factory to someone and they're hoping they can sell the rights to the Winchester name with the factory.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what do you think? Is buying a New Win 94 or Mod 70 and leaving it new a good investment idea?
Old 01-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Winchester is not going under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

US Repeating Arms who is located in Belgum is closing the plant in Conn, US Repeating Arms bought a licence to produce guns under the Winchester name from Olin who owns Winchester and the name. US Repeating Arms when they bought the licence in 1963 were the ones who changed the design from the pre1964 design. The licence US Repeating Arms bought expires next year anyway, they have driven the Winchester name into the ground for 40 years and now that the licence is expiring they are pulling out. Relax because someone will buy the factory and the machinest will have jobs and Olin will either start selling guns again or licence out the name again. I expect if the gun legslation preventing the sueing of gun manufactures for gun deaths ever gets passed Olin will start selling guns again.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

crimedog, you're writing is more wishful thinking than facts. I hope Winchester doesn't ride off into the sunset, but at this point in time it looks that way. Sure, someone may step up and purchase the license to make the 94 and model 70, etc., but I would bet it won't be for production in the CT plant. Probably be made overseas like the shotguns and imported under the name. Somewhat like the "Winchester" muzzleloaders that are made in Spain.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Iam deeply sadened. This is bad. I need to buy the new .325 wsm fast.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

don't own a single winchester, but this is truely sad[&o], and guys bashing US made goods, well the workers are only putting together what the big boss man ok's and specifies, i would be willing to bet at any of the plants, there are people that have come up with ideas, but have been shot down because of cost. maybe before long wal-mart will start building guns, or have it completely shut-down since their notmaking nothing on firearms sales anyway

Quick Reply: Winchester going under

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.