Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rhino VS Comp-N-Choke >

Rhino VS Comp-N-Choke

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rhino VS Comp-N-Choke

Old 01-16-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Rhino VS Comp-N-Choke

I have a COMP-N-CHOKE XXX FULL on my Browning BPS and the pattern is amazing.

I recently bought a NEF 10ga. that I am going to be using this spring and had my heart set on buying a Comp-N-Choke for it also. BUT the more I read about the Rhino tubes, the more I want to try one.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rhino VS Comp-N-Choke

IMO the only thing wrong with the Rhino is the price. I have shot them in Remingtons and Brownings and they are awesome with the Nitro Hevi-Shot, I have never shot one or even talked to anyone that has used them in the NE but I bet they would shoot a great pattern but they will probably cost half what the shotgun cost.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 AM

If there is anything better than the Rhino I have yet to see it. In selling this stuff for 20 years I have NEVER seen a choke tube as effective as the Rhino (and yes I am talking about while being used with Nitro loads). I have been using Nitro's for 3 years and the year before last we actually went too Mtn. Grove, MO (it is only 30 minutes from my families place in Mtn. View, MO and we were up their turkey hunting and had just become new dealers for Nitro/Rhino). "Nitro Ray" is a character and has more experience with his loads and the Rhino tubes than anyone else. Just call him and he will tell you what load and tube to get for a particular gun.

Initially I was using his 2 1/4oz 4,5 & 7.5 triplex load in my 870 Supermag with a .665 TruGlo (the old 3 band model not the newer, cheaper ones). I killed two birds that year in MO one at 50yds in the woods and one at 64yds across a pasture (both ranged by my Leica rangefinder). Another of our salesmen killed two birds over 70yds (again laser verified) with his Nitro/TruGlo in a Browning Gold 3.5". I thought I was happy until talking too Ray in his shop. He found out I had an old 835Ulti-Mag rusting quietly in the corner and started in on me. "Man you GOTTA dig that ol Mossberg out, those old guns with their 10ga backbore can carry a load like no other 12s". He showed me a special load he builds for the 835/935s and told me what Rhino to get (I believe it is a .680 but I will need to check that next time I am in my gunsafe, for some reason .695 also comes too mind). You can overchoke Hevi-Shot,especially that from Remington but you can likewise do the same with Nitro.

Lastyear I did as he commanded and the ol Mossberg put 22 pellets into a 12oz Coors Light can at 60 lasered yards. Naturally both the birds I killed in MO with it were under 30 yds, but when in cattle pastures and large, mature, open hardwoodshaving that extra range sure is nice.

Check em out,
RA
Old 01-17-2006, 11:04 AM

As for Hevi-Shot. I am not sure that you can buy it factory loaded for a 10ga. I know that you can buy Nitro, but I don't have the money and don't really see a reason right now to spend $50+ for five shells.
So, I will be shooting lead.
The reason I was considering a Comp-N-Choke for the 10ga. is because I have yet to find anything that wasn't custom that had a better pattern than my BPS with the Comp-n-choke on it.
It seems that most people who use the Rhino choke use Nitro loads. But I don't see myself using them. So, I am looking for results with regular factory loaded shells.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:03 PM

Strut there certainly is 10 Rem HeviShot available. I kept a customer from buyinga box of it the other day, he picked up 10ga #6 HeviShot thinkin it was 12ga 3.5". We used to shoot the HeviShot before we got introed too the Nitro. The key too the HeviShot is it is REALLY prone to being easily overchoked. Most guys will tell you that 3" HeviShot patterns better than 3.5" that is true with tight tubes. But it's really a sign of overchoking. Drop back too a .665 or even better, something in the .670-.680 range and try that 3.5" HeviShot. HS is bad to donut ring when constricted to much. That is a sign of poor buffering and shotcup design. That is where Nitro Ray has them beat, he uses Winchester cups and special, small buffer. My father-in-law retired after 31 years from a U.S. contractor arsenal so he knows the ins and outs of loading and methods. He looked into Rays portable cement mixer that he uses to coat the HeviShot once he gets it. Ray wouldn't tell us what it was (proprietary mixture) but my father-in-law said he could tell it was a mixture with ALOT of graphite in it.

We also found that you should try both size loads offered in the Rem HeviShot. I believe they offer two weights in each load and our testing typically got better patterns with the lighter (like a 1 5/8 vs 17/8 oz offerings of the otherwise same load). Again I believe that to be a sign of choke restriction. Just make sure your tubes are approved for HeviShot. And if you aren't shooting very restrictive tubes (under .670) you shouldn't have a problem with just about any tube out there. Alot of guys are still hung up on the tightest of tight tubes right now, there are several .640s out now. Those are STRICTLY for lead loads. I haven't tried the new Federal or Winchester HeviShot copies but have heard from several that they REALLY liked the Winchester offerings.I have'nt heard of any Federal testers yet.

Good luck,
RA

ps
The last lead loads I shot were several years ago and after all my testing I found the Winchester Supreme copper plated 2oz # 5s were the best in the majority of my guns. But lead just "gives up" at around 50-55yds. The heavier materails like HeviShot and similar metals retain better energy plus you can drop down in pellet size to not only equal larger lead knockdown but also increase your pellet count. Pellet count and density is the real key IMHO. But getting all those pellets on target takes a lil time and testing. Several years ago I would've laughed in your face if you told me that someone could consistently use 7.5 size shot for turkeys. With Nitro you can. In fact the fellow who got me into all this shot stuff actually bought a 10g BPS and had Ray load him some all 7.5size 3oz (yep 3 OZs!!!) which just look like a swarm of mosquitos inside of 75 yds. I would'nt believe it if I had'nt seen it for my own eyes. AMAZING!!! And the pellet count is unbelievable with that load! Yet because it it made of HeviShot those 7.5s have the energy and knockdown of lead 6s.

pss
BPS yes you CAN get HeviShot in 10ga, just not in the new High Velocity HeviShot but I wouldn't let that stop me. Regular HeviShot has it all over lead and I recommend it heartily to those who aren't willing to pay for Nitros.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Yeah. I know that Hevi-Shot is great, I killed a bird with it last year with my BPS and another choke. It was the Remington 3'' loads. Can't remember if it was the HV or the magnum. It was a 18.5lb long beard, he wasn't that far, only about 25yds, but I did have to shoot him through some brush. The Hevi-shot done the job. Personaly, I am not pleased with the Remington Hevi-shot at all. I tried it out of my BPS, 835, and 11-87 with different chokes and the pattern was down right embarrassing if I might say.

You and others keep mentioning the patterns at 60-70 yards. I know that its great to have the knowledge that you had it if you needed it, but I have no intentions of ever shooting a bird that far. To me shooting the bird is only 1/2 the fun. I like to call them in close and watch and learn. I've never shot a bird over 30yds. In my opinion if you want to shoot a turkey this far, just go and buy one from the grocery store. Again, just my opinion.

I don't doubt the Nitro loads at all. I've yet to hear anything bad about them and the patterns that guys have showed me were amazing. Right now, I personally can't spend that much money on shells. Aren't they like $5 a shell? I have looked at their web site numerous times, but can't remember.

I also have heard a lot of good things about the Winchester version. A lot more good things than the Remington Hevi. Like yourself, I've yet to hear anything about the Federal.

As far as the chokes go, I totally agree with you. The thing that most people don't realize with the tight chokes is that the funnel effect makes a shot string. Yeah, it looks great on paper, but a turkey is 3D, not flat like paper. That is one reason I think a Comp-n-Choke does well. I am looking at my pack here, it doesn't say the dia. of the choke, but I don't think its very tight, even though it is a xxxFull. I like shooting #6's so thats why I got it.

I also have a Wad Wizard that is basically cylinder bore with little "rods" that catch the wad. It does great with Hevi-Shot, up to a certain distance. I mostly got this choke for buckshot. Its pretty impressive with 00 buck out to 60-70 yards.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 12 gauge 3.5" BPS and the Rhino choke is awesome, especially with the Nitro loads. It was definately worth the money to me!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Yes, Yes, I know the rhino/nitro combo is good. I am looking for results with lead. [8D]
Old 01-18-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Myself and2 others tested chokes from several different companies in our3.5" Browning BPS 12 gauges 3 years ago. We tested Winchester, Federal and Nitro ammo. The Rhino chokewas obviously amazing with the Nitro butit also shot the factory stuff better than the other chokes too. Suprisingly enough, the second best performer was a $19.99 choke from WalMart called a Star Dot. I did not test hevishot with my choke as it is a .660 constriction and Nitro recommends a .670 or .685 for hevi-shot. The Rhino is easily the best choke I have ever used. Give them a call at 1-800-226-3613, maybe they will let you send it back if you are not satisfied with the results.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:05 AM

VA,

Just courious, did any of you try a Comp-n-choke with the BPS? I also have a 3.5'' BPS and the best I found for mine was the Comp-n-choke with winchester xx 2 1/4 oz #6's.

Quick Reply: Rhino VS Comp-N-Choke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.