Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 need help justifying my decision-1st gun... >

need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

Old 01-10-2006, 12:15 PM

Default need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

Birthday comin' up, and looking forward to getting into shooting and hunting. I know there are a lot of opinions, and I am really enjoying reading all of them. This post is pretty much my train of thought on the gun I have decided on, and I was hoping those with more experience than myself (i.e. - pretty much everyone on this board) could tell me if my logic is flawed.

Based on some discussion and research, I have been leaning towards a Savage, probably the 30-06 for a couple of reasons:

-"jack of all trades" caliber for big game, and I'll be going after deer, elk, and moose eventually.

-easy to find and somewhat cheaper ammunition

-Good reputation. Savage seems to be pretty popular for an affordable rifle with great performance.

If I am wrong about any of these points, or if there are better options, please fill me in. I was also intrigued by the T/C Encore and/or Savage Muzzleloader, but I'm not entirely savvy on their pros and cons for a novice.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

By the way, I sould mention that I will only be able to afford one firearm, and I have heard suggestions of getting a .22 to practice with first, but to be perfectly honest, I figure I might as well get what I would be using in nine months anyway and practice my butt off.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

looks like you got it all figured out you will be happy with a savage and I think the 30-06 is a good all around gun also if you would like a little more power with out alot more recoil check out the 7mm mag.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think your train of thought is right on but what will you be using the gun for ie.. hunting what. shooting what.

I think a good bolt action is a good 1st gunor a nice single shot like an encore I think youd be fine with either.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage is not my cup of tea, but it is for a lot of people and there's no reason why you shouldn't buy it if that's what you want. They certainly havea reputation for fine accuracy.And, of course, the .30-06 has been there and done that. It would be a great cartridge to go with.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reily
Sounds to me like you have been doing your homework.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:02 PM

I appreciate the replies. I have one other question though that I forgot to post. Should I bother getting the package with the scope and the strap, or should I just get the rifle and piece the rest together. I don't know a great deal about scopes, so I have no idea whether or not the scope they provide would be sufficient for hunting in the Northeast US. Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reily,
I picked up the Savage package in 243 and my buddy picked it up the same day in 270. It came with a Simmons 3-9 scope. My buddies scopehas been fine, not the best optics but has been OK so far. Mine was terrible. After just a few shots with the 243 (mild recoil) neither me nor the gun shop could focus it properly. I have already put a new Nikon on it. MUCH BETTER. Bottom line with the scope that comes with it is that it might be serviceable and get you out in the woods or it could crap out after a few shots. If you can afford better optics do it.

A 3-9 would be all you should need hunting in the NE

Both guns shoot great, very accurate
Old 01-10-2006, 02:50 PM

I'd piece it together. Stay away from the cheapest rings and stick with (this is not an all inclusive list but...) Bushnell Elite 3200s and 4300s, Any Leopold you can find in your price range, or Burris Fullfields. There are so many options on optics it would be impossible to give a run-down on whats good and whats not. Buy the best you can, don't buy anything over 10x and you'll do fine. Many a man who can afford will spent 2 or 3 times the money on a scope than he paid for the gun...so seriously buy the best you can and don't worry about it. You don't have to spend $500-2,000 to get a good solid scope.

Oh, and a Savage 30-06 is going to be hard to beat as a do-all utility gun.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Host of Hosts

I'd say you've already got it figured out just fine. Like others said though the package guns come with cheap scopes...cheap mounts...and cheap slings. The Savage rifle will last you a lifetime so why not get good accessories?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reily,
Glad you're taking up hunting. As usual the people on this
forum are being generous with their good advice. I'd just
like to mention you may want to go and shoulder a few
different models before you decide. Pick the one that feels
good to you.
A 22 is always a good place to start but as long as you
get some good pointers/instruction on your larger calibers
getting what you need/want is important. Practice is the
key. Good luck and keep us posted.

God bless and an earlyHappy Birthday,
PK

Quick Reply: need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.