Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 need help justifying my decision-1st gun... >

need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

Old 01-11-2006, 03:12 PM

Default RE: need help justifying my decision-1st gun...

Wow...thanks to everybody for offering their thoughts. Based on what I'm reading, I think I'm going to just get the gun, package be damned. It'll save me a couple of bucks in the short term, and when the long term comes around, I'll actually be making more money anyway - win-win situation. For the record, I have been shooting a couple of times for trap, target, and breaking in a TC encore, so I don't think the recoil will be a problem. And pardon me for being too proud, but even though money is an issue, since this is my first gun, there's just something that feels good about getting a brand new...anything. By that same token, I just found out that walmart is selling exactly what I'm looking for for almost 100 bucks less than what I can get it for here. Problem is, no Walmart remotely near Juneau AK. How do I get around that roadblock? Thanks again. Waiting till my birthday is killing me!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 PM

I'm stumped by the walmart problem. I thought they had them on the moon. They seem to be everywhere. Unless you want to take a trip to Oregon or the closest walmart. It would probably cost more in gas than you would save.

I really like my savage. Of course I bought mine right before they introduced the accu-trigger. I bought a 7mm mag. I've been very happy with it. I don't think I would recommend if for someones first firearm. 7mm mag is a great cartridge, very flat shooting and can take down a large variety of game, but as posted earlier they have a kick and if it is your first gun you'll feel like you've tangled with a mule after your first day at the range. I would stick with the 30-06 or my personal preference the .308 Either one of them will serve you well. The .308 has a little less kick and I just really like it, but a lot of people enjoy the 30-06 again both are great weapons. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can't go wrong with most modern centerfire rifles. However, you are right to avoid the package deal. You may have a nice gun, but if your scope doesn't hold a zero or perform when the conditions get tough, you might as well be carrying a stick. Nikon, Leupold, and others make scopes that are much better bargains, more expensive, but still a better bargain.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:39 PM

I think u are makin the right choice. I especially like the accu-trigger
Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another idea. Buy a few of those snap caps. They are like a dummy round that absorbs the shock for the firing pin, but they don't shoot. Use them for dry-fire practice. You can really improve your shooting ability without buying all those shells. This will make you a better shot and save you money.