Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Encore misfire? >

Encore misfire?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Encore misfire?

Old 12-31-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Encore misfire?

I bought a encore in 300 win mag about a month or so ago. When i purchased it i also bought a box of Federal fusion 150's. I was not happy with the groups i was shooting so i wanted to try another bullet. I bought the Win. CT 180 gr. Good news is at 100yds i put 5 shots in about 1.25" But twice the gun misfired? in both cases the firing pin did not fully impact the primer. Both bullets did fire the second time. I took the gun apart and thoughly cleaned it when i got home. Is there a trigger setting that could be causing this? Any advice would be appreciated. i fired the gun at least 20 times without this problem, including th first two shots and the last shot today at the range.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Encore misfire?

Same thing happened to my friend. He had ahammer extention. TC says it can cause this. But what caught my eye is he had no problem with federals even with the hammer but also had trouble with winchester CT's. The win primers are a little tougher than most however. Theres a few websites that deal with the problem that sells heavy trigger mechanisms and talkes about the issue. Its not all that uncommon with the encore.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php

Old 12-31-2005, 11:09 PM

Thanks Bigcountry, that makes sense. I was racking my brain. I'm gonna order the 51 pound hammer spring. I will just have to go back to the ole model 70 for now. The last thing i want is to get a shot at a trophy and hear "CLICK".
Old 12-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, if you got a hammer extension installed it will definetly make one misfire. Happens all the time.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:31 PM

The spring i ordered is 70% stronger so that should solve the prob. I also ordered a different hammer ext. The one i have is ambbedextrous so it's twice as heavy which i guess only adds to the problem.

I would like to say that i have been impressed with the level of knowledge shown by some of the people on this forum. Very helpful indeed.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the theory is that the extension will cause this problem because of the extra weight. Well I’m glade my extension is made from aluminum because I have never had this problem...
Old 01-01-2006, 02:20 PM
bigcountry

I just got one from Cabelas that was steel. Way too heavy. Then after mounting the scope I found out i didn't need it.

According to TC, sometimes teh problem could be the binding to the hammer cause the extention is to one side. Who knows.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have people bring in encores all the time due to misfires. 9 times out of 10 they have an extension installed on the hammer. It doesn't seem to matter if they use the aluminum or the steel Uncle Mikes extension. They both slow the hammer down enough that it does not hit hard enough to dent the primer. Of course this does not happen to all of the encores. Every gun is an individual.

Cajun, that extra power spring should take care of the problem for you and you still be able to use the extention with out further problems.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my buddies just bought an Encore. I don't think he's fired it yet----I'll clue him in on this before he makes a tomato stake out of it---
Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 PM

That's almost how i felt when it misfired!! I borrowed a gun once on a hunting trip when i was 17 years old. It was a custom made 30-06 bolt action. it had some sort of firing pin problem and needless to say i shot about 6 times at a rack buck and never made a noise!! other than the click of course. So if i wouldn't of had help figuring this one out, my brother in law may have gotten a new encore for Christmas next year!! Now he will still get some gloves

Quick Reply: Encore misfire?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.