Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 browning a-bolt >

browning a-bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

browning a-bolt

Old 01-01-2006, 04:18 PM

Default RE: browning a-bolt

only thing that i see wrong with the browning a-bolt,is that the ramp is to steep were the bullet slides into the barrel,they should have made it less angled for smoother and easier injecting the round when cycling.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought an A-bolt in 7mm RM and my wife had a 270. We still have the 270, great little gun, shoots very well and good trigger. Not the smoothest bolt slide but still a nice little gun. My A-bolt however I sold off. Just wouldn't shoot that well. I could never get better than about 2" at 100 yards even with handloads. I even contacted Browning and sent it back to be inspected and they sent it back with a 50 yard target with 3 holes about 1" apart saying that was within specs for that gun. Since I'm a gun nutthat kind of accuracy just wasn't good enough for me so I sold it and bought a Tikka. Much better.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtx19

I dont know what this idiot is talking about, i have a browning a bolt medallion 30-06 and i love it, it only takes me a couple of seconds to change clips and ready to shoot again. it holds 5 in the clip.
Whats with the name calling? Did I say anything in my statement that was incorrect? And would you like to race me in a reload, I'll usea Tikka, AR 15, Mini 14, Remington 700, etc and we'll see who can reload their gun faster. All I said was that the Browning design is a joke that requires multiple steps to reload.

You might want to get your facts straight before you start throwing out names, you aren't going to be very well liked around here if you keep things up at this rate.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

you tell him rammer I bet I could load my 700 with the hinged floorplate almost as fast as a browning big tex better keep the dog cause if he talks like that he wont have any friends but the dog
Old 01-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

My point is that I prefer things to be simple,less likelyto fail.Why make something more complicated than it needs tobe?Actually in many chamberings the magazines only hold three rounds which is almost always more than enough.However if you should for some reason need an extra round,simpler and quicker is better.
You nailed it SJ. I too used to (and still do) own a Browning. I think they make a really good rifle but their clip system just isn't that great. The Remington's are well done as are the Sako's. The Tikka's aren't that great but they are better in the fact you just pop them in or out as a detachable clip should be. Not for road hunting, just nice to be able to get in and out of the truck during the day without having to dump all your shells on the ground or cycle them through your action. Seems safer to me actually than running those shells through your action all the time or dropping them out of the floorplate. Some people catch them in their hands but I've seen too many hunters just run them all through or just let them fall on the ground. Plus it does make it easier to carry an extra clip full in case there is a need. My 7mm Mag only holds 3 shells in the clip so unless I load a 4th in the barrel I can forsee elk or bear hunting when 3 shots might not be enough. I have had to shoot an elk 5 times before with that rifle and had to reload once to do it (last 2 were finishing shots so time wasnt' that critical).
Old 01-03-2006, 08:34 PM

abolt is the best rifle on the market. mine's a medallion in 280, trust it in any situation
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse

abolt is the best rifle on the market. mine's a medallion in 280, trust it in any situation

Thats a rather bold statment if you would of added imo it would have been fine but I dont own a browning and have heard no bad about them but I dont know about the best on the market.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse

That is a bold statement. But, that is whats great about this country, we can say what we want.

I have a Browning A-Bolt and I would also trust it against "almost" anything in most situations [:'(]

You know what the best thing about that statement is? How can you prove it wrong that its not the best gun on the market?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

well rammer thats why I never said it wasn't the best rifle. cause but its funny more people have not attacked him yet on his statement
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM

I like the way the a-bolt feels in my hands. I don't own one because I can't afford one. I had clients in hog hunting last week. One hand an a-bolt in SS with composite stock. It felt good and he swore by it for mulie and elk hunting (.30-06). I own a .308 Savage weather warrior and I am very pleased with it. I hunt hogs in very thick swampy stuff.

If someone gave me an A-Bolt or I found one at a very reduced price I would probably buy it. IMO - from multiple clients from different areas and friends that the A-Bolt is a very good rifle.

Now as far as carrying bullets around in your pocket. Go to Gander Mountaint, Wally-World or any sporting goods store and buy the little bullet holders that have a velcro cover flap. That works for me and my wife (she shoots a HFE Handi Rifle single shot).

Quick Reply: browning a-bolt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.