Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka plastic, is it good or not >

Tikka plastic, is it good or not

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka plastic, is it good or not

Old 12-29-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Tikka plastic, is it good or not

Well, I went to the local gunshop to see what gun I liked the best and I decided that out of a Remington 700 BDL SS, a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless, a Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker, and a Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless
1. The Tikka had the smoothest bolt action followed by the Remington, then Winchester, and last the Browning (it felt like crap).
2. I want the Tikka but I was wondering if the plastic magazine should be of concern? Is this a gun that will last a lifetime, or is it just a good performer that lasts 15 years before it breaks down? If it is I think I will reconsider.........
3. Is the Tikka a strong gun...........the action, is it rock solid like the Remington, is the stock as strong as another factory stock, and is the steel they use premium quality.
4. I also want to test a Ruger. I hear they are good guns.
5. Summary: I don't just want an accurate rifle, I want a durable, rugged, lifetime gun. Will the Tikka be these?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tikka plastic, is it good or not

The synthetic magazine used by tikka is very durable as is the entire rifle.I have seen them take a good deal of rough treatment with no damage done.I have fired two t-3 rifles myself and the accuracy was very good with both.If I was looking for a rifle in that price range,I would not hesitate to buy a tikka.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never had a problem with mine , and Im not reel easy on it .
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I beat the living crap out of my Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless. It bounces around in my pickup all year with me, never looses its zero, never been cleaned (other than pulling the bolt on and cleaning that up), and it'll put 5 shots into a ragged hole.

I'd take a look at another Browning if I was you. Browning is good at sending out rifles with alot of cosmeline (sp) in their actions, I have a Browning and a Tikka and I think the Browning is smoother.

Ruger also has a very smooth action, but some shoot very well, and others don't. The factory Ruger trigger also is very rough.

Between the Tikka and Browning here are some advantages/disadvantages of each.
- Tikka - has a plastic/polymer drop out magazine - very easy to load unload - after 1 year of abuse the Tikka mag is holding up well. I was skeptical at first when I bought it.
- Browning - has a box magazine on a swing door floorplate. This kinda sucks for quick reloads in my opinion, but its very durable.
- Both Tikka and Browning have easy to adjust triggers - I never adjusted my Tikka trigger, the Browning trigger I tweaked a lil bit, not sure what it breaks at but it is very very smooth.
- The finish on my Lite Stainless Tikka got scuffed up (black streaks on my barrel) and they won't buff out, but its a hunting gun so I really don't care.
- I have had a lil surface rust form on my Browning after my dads elk hunt - it snowed and rained on it for a week, it was very minimal rust that just took a rag and some oil to get rid of. Then again it is not stainless like the Tikka.
- Browning has a better crown on the barrel.

I have owned Remingtons, Rugers, Tikkas, Brownings, Savages for bolt guns. I have never owned a Winchester, they just don't fit me right, and for a while their quality control was non-existent. My 2 Remington 700s shoot very well, but they just don't compare to the Browning or Tikka's in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking at the tikkas in gander last nite they were so smooth and lite wow even the 338 was lite does anyone have problems with the rings look cheap imo
Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leupold makes a very good set of bases that work with the standard leupold rings for a reasonable price..
Old 12-29-2005, 03:14 PM

I have bought several t-3's no problems whats so ever. It has the best features at the best price. Go tikka!
Old 12-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigiron

the rings look cheap imo
If you’re talking about the Optilock rings, they are solid. I have a set on my Sako. The Optilock Rings come complete with polymer rings and are a nice feature that protect the scope from any damage...
Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM

Steyr has been making the plastic clips for over 40 years.....ever hear of a complaint? If a 2000 dollar rifle uses the plastic( not really plastic) then it's a done deal.....same with the other polymer parts. I have a Tikka Whitetail Hunter and love the thing.....plastic an all! Regards, Rick.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:19 PM

I own a Tikka T3 varminter in stainless in .308. Never had a problem with the plastic. The gun operates smoothly with the highest reward in accuracy and craftmanship.

Quick Reply: Tikka plastic, is it good or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.