Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Varmint weight cartridge in deer gun >

Varmint weight cartridge in deer gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Varmint weight cartridge in deer gun

Old 12-27-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Varmint weight cartridge in deer gun

I finally think that i'm going to get a 25-06 as my new gun this spring. My reasoning is that i believe i will get more use out of a 25-06 with shooting deer, range time, coyotes and woodchucks over a 270 wsm that i would use only on deer and a possible future elk hunt. (but that may just give me an excuse to get another rifle in the future)

Here is my question. I've read on the sight about the pros and cons of each but being interested in shooting coyotes or chucks i believe a 75 or 80 grain v-max bullet would be best. However, i don't seem to find themreally anywhere around me. 1. would it pay to have a gun shop near me order acase or a few boxes or should i travel to say cabelas or bass pro shop (i live on long island new york) to pick me up a bunch of boxes

2.where can i find these rounds. (youcannot order ammunition through the mail in New york)
Old 12-27-2005, 01:26 PM

Default RE: Varmint weight cartridge in deer gun

Do you reload? And can you get reloading components in the People's Republic of New York? If "no" and "no"; I think I would make the journey to Cabela's or Bass Pro.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:40 PM

No i haven't gotten in reloading yet...i guess it would be worth the money in the long run but what is the initial investment to get set up??

Old 12-27-2005, 02:57 PM

A real basic setup is a couple hundred bucks. Just wondering if it would be possible to get components shipped and make the ammunition yourself. It's not rocket science . . . well, in some ways it might seem like it. I think there are some videos on the subject if you can't find someone to show you how. It can even be done in an apartment. The tough part sounds like trying to find a place to test the loads once you assemble them.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

any chance you could get someone at your local gun club to load a few for you?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Spike

Try HUNTER SPORTS in Massapequa ( on Sunrise Hwy.) If he doesn't have it he will order it for you. He says he will match Cabelas prices.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SalCucco

I finally think that i'm going to get a 25-06 as my new gun this spring. My reasoning is that i believe i will get more use out of a 25-06 with shooting deer, range time, coyotes and woodchucks over a 270 wsm that i would use only on deer and a possible future elk hunt. (but that may just give me an excuse to get another rifle in the future)

Here is my question. I've read on the sight about the pros and cons of each but being interested in shooting coyotes or chucks i believe a 75 or 80 grain v-max bullet would be best. However, i don't seem to find themreally anywhere around me. 1. would it pay to have a gun shop near me order acase or a few boxes or should i travel to say cabelas or bass pro shop (i live on long island new york) to pick me up a bunch of boxes

2.where can i find these rounds. (youcannot order ammunition through the mail in New york)
Either have a gunshop order some ammo for you, or better yet, find some outfit that does custom loading and have them develop a load using your rifle, then you can always get exactly the same load when you need more. I know there is an outfit in NY state someplace that loads custom ammo. (When I lived in Madison County NY, I had no trouble buying CF rifle ammo from Cabelas, but this may vary from county to county, and NYC has the worst restrictions of all.)

Here's an outfit in New York. I don't know if they'd be able to do what you want, but perhaps they could give youi some useful information. Looks like they have at least one .25/'06 load - a 100-grainer.

http://www.safariarms.com