Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning vs Sako >

Browning vs Sako

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning vs Sako

Old 12-26-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Browning vs Sako

Hello everyone,
I'd like to purchase a 338 win mag left handed bolt action rifle. I'd like to someday use it for big game hunting: elk, moose, caribbou, (possible grizzley.) I've narrowed down my selection to a new Browning A Bolt II Stainless Stalker, or a used but like new custom Sako AV built by Mark Penrod, which costs about twice as much as the Browning. I've always heard very positive things about Sakos, but what sets them apart from other rifles? I know the Sako gaurentees1 MOA, what kind of accuracy do Brownings usually offer? Is the Sako really worth twice the money, or would the Browning more than meet my needs? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning vs Sako

I was kinda wondering the same thing .As of late I have been hearing alot about the Sako rifles.What exactly sets them apart other than craftmanship?Are the older ones with the Boforos steel better than the Beretta guns of now.I was looking the 75 Deluxe is over $2000.If I put a grand or more into a piece .I would like to know why .Other than somebody told me that was the kind to get.Don't get me wrong.I have looked at some beautiful ones.But I guess they are like women some are all show and no go.Others are high maintanence but are not worth it.[:-]Are the Tikkas as good? I was looking at a older Sako Deluxe in .375 H&H Mag. for no other reason than I just woke up and wanted a Sako in .375
Old 12-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems the new sako rifles had a bad batch of barrels but I would jump on the Sako you are looking at used!!
I own 2 A-Bolts and 2 old Sako varmint rifles. Both Browning and Sako rigles are very nice, you cannot make a wrong choice
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Red:

I own both the SAKO and Browning, and I would take the SAKO myself. Quality is subjective, but the SAKOs just fit together better etc. I would stay away from any Berretta product, but it sounds like you have a nice Stoeger import on your hands there. I just picked up a 7x64 the other day and LOVE it. Your SAKO should already havedouble crossbolts, which you have to have installed on the Brownings. If you go with the SAKO, definately get the Optilock bases and rings. You will have a great family heirloom!!!!

CE
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also the Sako has a threaded receiver/barrel. I believe Brownings do not
Old 12-27-2005, 05:11 PM

Sako...easy pick. Regards, Rick.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:17 PM

Sako
Old 12-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hairtrigger

Also the Sako has a threaded receiver/barrel. I believe Brownings do not
Brownings do not have a pressed in barrel, I don't know where everyone is coming up with this. Remington 710s have a pressed in barrel.

Between the Sako and Browning it all comes down to funds. Both are mighty fine guns, I would personally buy the Browning and stick the remaining money into a high end scope.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:31 AM

Is it true that the Browning does not have a threaded receiver/barrel?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The browning a-bolt barrels are threaded into the receivers.Many gunsmiths have had problems removing them in the past for rebarrelling them,but they are threaded in.

Quick Reply: Browning vs Sako

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.