Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 checking a firearm at an airport >

checking a firearm at an airport

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

checking a firearm at an airport

Old 12-28-2005, 02:51 PM
RPL

Default RE: checking a firearm at an airport

Traveling with firearms is actually very easy. Most info was already covered pretty well. This past October, 5 friends and myself flew to Montana for an elk hunt. We used Delta Airlines and it was absolutely no hassle. I personally took two guns, a rifle and a handgun. Delta limits you totwo guns per case.The TSA and Delta allow ammo to be stored in the same lockable airline approved case as the firearm. Some airlines do not! Delta regs. state that ammunition must be in original factory boxes and limited to 11 lbs.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

No you do not need to break down the gun. Just put it in a lockable hard case and lock it.

Sometimes I have had to go to another room and sometimes I have had to just open it up on the ticket counter. It depends on the airline.

Other then you signing a paper declaring it is a firearm and is unloaded and you are the only one with access to it it checks just like regualr baggage.

It's no big deal at all. Just take it and check it as baggage.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:49 PM

when my team deployed to iraq, we flew comm. to maryland. we used the plastic one from wal-mart,we weren't in military uniforms, didn't have any problems, just had to fill out a form at the ticket counter,and wasn't able to pick them up at baggage claim, we had to sign for them, just check with your airline prior to the flight date. good luck
Old 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just about everyone answering you is correct. Additionally, I check the particular airline's requirements (they most always quote the FAA requirements) on weapons check-in on their web site and print it out a day or two before I head to the airport. I haven't had it happen yet but you never know when you are going to run into an airline employee whois anti-gun and try to bs you. Your case should be airline approved. I don'trecall anyone mentioning that.
Good luck on your trip.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

....Your case should be airline approved. I don'trecall anyone mentioning that.......
I covered it.

There is no "approved" list for firearm cases, I've never had a ticket agenthassle me or any of my buddies for what we are transporting our firearms in. I use Pelican and Starlight cases, but I've seen everything down to some really cheap Doskocil cases that can be had for $20.

It's your gun, but I wouldn't let mine ride in something flimsy.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM

I just flew Southwest Airlines yesterday 1/9/06 with two rifles. I purchased a Plano aluminum case for the trip at $79, with four keyed locks already in place on the case.
Make sure you have the clip out of the gun, if so equipped, and be prepared to demonstrate that the gun is unloaded. At Southwest it was no problem to keep the ammunition in the same case. I got online before the trip and read the rules pertaining to the safe carry of firearms through the airlines. The TSA agents were very friendly and loved what I was carrying......I think one was drooling a little and a pretty good conversation about old guns followed until he had to return to his Job.