Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Gun to drop them down?? >

Which Gun to drop them down??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Gun to drop them down??

Old 12-23-2005, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Which Gun to drop them down??

In general... the heavier the bullet the better it will DROP the animal "on AVERAGE" that is not to say that a top notch marksman w/ a 243 wont do better than a goofball w/ a 375 mag. But on average the bigger calibers will do you better, 270, 264win, 280, 284,7mm's ect....308 30-06. I have used a 300win mag since '92' and have not had ANY deer go more than 2-3 steps. By the same token... I used a 6mm for years and never had any lost animals, but they did go a little ways. My son uses the 6mm now and he dropped his 3X4 mulie this year on the spot, and last year his 4X4 went 20-30yds.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:57 PM

It's all about shot placement and bullet construction. If you don't put the bullet in the vitals then he just ain't going down right there. Also if your bullet doesn't match the game you are hunting then you are going to have too much penetration or the bullet is going to blow up on impact.

Old 12-24-2005, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have deer hunted since I was 11 yrs old ,I am now 43, every year I have taken atleast 1 deer . My first gun was a 20 gauge - not a slug gun just a plain old shotgun.The first deer taken was at 20 yards ( at 11 that was awsome) it eas a doe shot in the back high she fell like you cut her legs off. Now I think deer hunting is easy, whats the big deal, so the next year I shot one in the ribs the old classic double lung she ran for ever with her lungs shot out. (Two holes) After that it was up to a .303 wow what a change I dropped around 6 deer over the next 3 or 4 years.Now its moving to the .270 win and I have had one every since. I also have a 45/70 .300wm, .220 swift, .243 , all have killed deer . In my experence the ones shot with any of these have died very quickly if I did my part and made a good hit. I had a 250lb 10 point at 30 yards shot with my trusty .270, bullets were grand slams ,, thought I had the best bullet around, well that bullet never exited the deer he ran about 20 yards and I put another round in his chest. When I skinned him I found both bullets I was not impressed at all. I guess what I am saying is he took everything that round had to offer and kept going. soooo I can tell you I want TWO HOLES for the blood trail. You can never say one round will do the same thing every time. There are rounds designed to do specific things but there is no perfect world. stop dreaming You are throwing a pill out there at 3000 fps m/l and hitting into a animal at every concieved angle known to mankind with bone and flesh in the way . I cant even believe that someone would talk about penetration on a whitetail , shoot through the deer it is the best option.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any bullet that goes into a bunch of pieces after hitting an animal does what I and alot of people say "blows up". I never said it was some exploding tip dont be a ignorant fool trying to change what I meant, obviously they are not filled with powder. You just keep hunting with you illegal FMJs and keep wounding deer whatever helps you sleep.

Two holesare just a waste of lead. When I see one large hole and the other side of the rib cage looking like a train hit it and the animal drops thats what I look for in a round. I dont need a blood trail to track a deer that takes maybe one step or so. I think you guys are looking for the same performance out of a rifle as an arrow. I just dont get it. I dont loose deer, I dont wound deer and I dont track deer and I have been doing long enough to know its not luck. Maybe a just chose my bullet placement different then most.

Ive tried your way with heavy bullets that dont come apart and didnt like it. We saw the pics from the guy whos Barnes TSX's stayed together looked like a nightmare to me. If you havent tried it how can you be so sure it doesnt work. And by the way that pill is going 4000fps not 3.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Spike

With any deer caliber a shot place anywhere in the neck will drop the deer in its tracks.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:38 PM

I have only had one doe run, it was the result of a head shot gone bad. I took it head on with a 30-30.
That was the kill that made me stop taking head shots. I usually take three does a year. I have dropped them with slugs, 30-30, and 50 cal. muzzle loader. Bucks on the other hand, almost always run (except for headshots). I have rarely had one go more than 60 yards. I have hunted with 30-06 and now with a 270, but never taken a shot with them. Probably killed more with black powder than anything. 90 grains pushing a 45 cal jacket hollow point seems to do the trick upt to about 115 yards (never taken a shot longer than that) that one never got up either.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:47 PM

don't agree with the neck shot stopping them all the time. i shot a 6 point at about ten yards with a 30-30. he dropped on the spot, didn't move for about two minutes, then ran about 60 or 70 yards. left a huge blod trail (never seen anything like it, mudt have bled out completely). i like a nice heart shot, if it doesn't hit the heart, iy most likely takes out the lungs. no air=quick death.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess with some more experince you will figure it out to. My friend you cant draw me into an arguement over something that you need more time at. Shooting an animal with a high powered rifle is not hard or has some magic bullet that as you say blows up . If you have never had to track a deer you will and then you will see what all of us are talking about. I am not impressed by your 4000 fps round that means nothing to me . Anyone can generate velocity with light bullets and the right powder charge. Please take sometime and educate yourself about bullets and there performance in the real world. Do you think that all of us just fell off the turnip wagon,you are talking to men with years of experiences that you can use for your advantage over your game that you are hunting. Good luck !!