Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's The BEST Model Light Gathering Scope? >

What's The BEST Model Light Gathering Scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's The BEST Model Light Gathering Scope?

Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM

Default RE: What's The BEST Model Light Gathering Scope?

No offense to the Leupold posters, however, in our tests this summer, the Zeiss Conquest led the pack by quite a large margin....around 20 minutes. We have a 4 point on one side rule in NC Missouri and the Conquest is 100% effective at counting points 40 minutes after sundown. The Burris and Leupolds couldn't make it past 15 minutes after sundown. Actually, the Nikon Buckmaster scopes (cheaper) we tested outperformed both the LeupoldVXIII and Burris Signature scopes in low light conditions ( same price range). Now if you want to take it to the next level, the swarovski is the hands down winner......however for our application up here in Missouri, it is illegal to shoot past 30 minutes after sundown so the extra 1000 dollars is a waste of money. Of course, you need a good set of binos first....then the good scope to make this happen in low light conditions. If you are interested in our tests, PM me and I will elaborate. The Zeiss Conquest is my strong recommendation. Regards, Rick.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 PM
DM

I have a 1.5x6 20mm B&L on my drilling now, and it's been a very good scope for me. Lately i've been thinking of buying a "new" scope that will work better for late evening shots while i'm watching bigger fields. I can sightthe "new" scopein for the "kinds of shots" i get along these fields, and stilluse the B&Lfor my "other hunting" when needed! The B&L is in claw mounts as will be the "new" scope, so it's no big deal to do this.

I was thinking of spending $5 or $600.00 bucks for the scope, and it looks like the Zeiss Conquest is the best scope for this kind of $$$

I carry Swarovski binoc's so i know of there quality, i just don't think "in a scope" you get enough more performance for the extra $$ they cost over a Conquest.

Anyway, i'm going to do some more research, and make a decision...

Thanks for your input this far,

Drilling Man

My B&L scope,

Old 12-15-2005, 08:58 PM

If You want light gathering and that is your main goal, then a fixed power scope of high quality is the thing. A 4x40 or 6x56 with a 30mm tube made by one of the European m,anufacturers like Zeiss, Schmidtand Bender, Swarovski, and IOR. Expect to spend 400-1000 bucks.
You want to pay attention to the size of ther exit pupil which is the objective size devided by the occular size IE a 10x50 binocular has an exit pupil of 5mm (50 devided by 10 = 5. The bigger the better.
And the higher quality thescope, the better the glass and coatings. Hard to beat Zeiss' and Swarovski's premier coatings although I hear that Nikons premier scopes are azbout as good.
My hunting partner who is a bit old fogeyish says that you should spend 3X as much on your scope as you do on the rifle.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:27 PM
DM

I've been researching this quite a bit, and it doesn't take long to find out that a 1" tube will pass all the light your eye can use. Several "hands on" test have shown that a 1" is just as bright as a 30mm.

I have a 4x Zeiss on another rifle, and i use to sell Zeiss long ago, so i'm aware of there quality too.

What i "thought" i wanted when i started looking is an 8x scope about 50 or 60mm, but maybe that isn't what i'll end up with after all, as the variables are much better these days than they "use to be".

Drilling Man
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can honestly say I have 2 Leupold VX-II series scopes and 1 Nikon Buckmaster scope, and you can see and shoot a lot longer with the Leupolds come dark time.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Leupold VX-III, and it is a very nice, clear scope. But I can't tell that it has much of an advantage, if any,over my Nikon Buckmaster. Usually, if I can't see out of one, I can't see out of the other. May just be that my binoculars are Swaro's which makes them both seem dim.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zeiss Diavari VM/V go to www.eurooptic.com Good luck.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I to live in nc Missouri and I hunt only with nikon for that very reason . They seem to gather more light then any scope I have used.Where are you from 48guns.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any scope with "ZEISS" on it...
Old 12-16-2005, 08:40 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: DM

I'm thinking of buying a new scope that"must" work in "low light levels". I'm willing to pay for quality,and would like to knowwhat would be your choise? Either 1" or 30mm is fine with me and i do realize the best scopes won't be compact scopes. I'm looking for light gathering here, not scopes that light up the reticles.

Also, the wider the objective, the better.

Lastly, look at more than one of the same brand. Manfacturing tolerances is the issue. You might put out 10 on the counter of a Ziess and find one that is better than most, and one that is a dog. Samewith leupold. What you want to look for is a contrast delta. Easy way for this test is put a card or something in a dark spot way out but with lots of light around. You know like a cave type enviroment. You have a huge contrast between light and dark. This test tells the tale.

Where can i see your choise on line?

Thanks in advance,

Drilling Man
As an optics guys, bottom line, the wider you can make the road more light. 30mm will definatly win. Second, anyway you can limit back reflection in the lens is second. Bender scopes probably win this.

Quick Reply: What's The BEST Model Light Gathering Scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.