Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle advice. >

Rifle advice.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle advice.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rifle advice.

I'm kinda new to all of this so please bear with me. I currently own a 30-30 and a .308 which I find quite suitable for deer. However, I'm looking for a overall stout rifle for bear, elk, etc... that I can hunt any big game with. Any suggestions, pro's or con's to help me start out making this decision? Also, I'm not framiliar with any calibers other than those above and the 30 - 06. Any caliber information would be helpful. Please don't hesitate to debate brand, caliber, or action. The more you tell the better decision I can start to make.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 AM
DM

Default RE: Rifle advice.

You already have it! 180 grain Nosler partitions in a 308 Win. will flatten any blk bear or elk, no problem! Just keep your ranges reasonable and you won't have any problems at all.

Spend your money on "ammo", and a better scope, if you don't already have a top of the line model now. Then practice, practice, and practice some more!

Drilling Man
Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Reasonable as in within 200 yards?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most people accept the .30-06 as being an all around cartridge suitable for any game up to Black Bear, Elk, and Moose. Some prefer something bigger if Grizzly Bear and Brown Bear are the intended quarry. The .308 that you have is considered to be a little less powerful than the .30-06, but I get the impression that this edge is not discernible until you start looking at using 220 grain bullets in the .30-06 where its greater case capacity may be used to advantage. For practical purposes, it is likely that your .308 is entirely suitable out to 300 yards for Black Bear, Elk, and Moose and slighter creatures. If you are concerned at this limit, investing more time in marksmanship and stalking skill would likely pay greater practical dividends than buying a rifle chambered in a heavier cartridge.

Of course, I am not discouraging you from buying rifles in other cartridges in addition to your present rifles. If you are inclined and able to purchase additional rifles, by all means go to it man! But don't feel like you are handicapped in hunting the species identified above if you can't buy a special purpose rifle.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM

hmmmmmmmm you already have a great "woods gun" for deer sized game with your tutty-tutty. You likewise have a "decent" big game/non dangerous gun with your .308 even though it generally is accepted and recommended that you keep your shots under 300yds with the 308 if said game is larger than a caribou. (Which is partially why I am about to make the recommendation that I am, why spend the time and money on a elk hunt only to "limit" yourself too 300yds with the 308?)

I believe a SIMPLE caliber for the heavy stuff (at any ranges you choose) would be the ol warhorse 338 Win Mag. It aint purty, it aint a shortmag, it aint blazingly fast and it aint new. BUT it will still "get r dun" like few others and ammo costs are reasonable for a big mag. Rifle wise, pick your poison. There are few fewer bad rifles on the market today than good ones so whatever you like is what you should pick. Scopewise, I probably would stick with something simple like a 3x9x40 or 3x10x44 at the most! Leupold VXII, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest they will all get the job done and stand up too the belting a 338 can dish out.

That's my .01/2c,
RA
Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bigpapa:

I have re-read your original post, and I see you are looking for something with a little more power than your .308. You may already be aware that you can hunt elk with your .308, but you are interested in adding a rifle in a power category that is stouter than the .308 . . . I missed this direction in your first post.

I think RedAllison's advice is pretty sound. I have a hankering myself to obtain a .338 Winchester Magnum to add some power on the top end of my battery of arms. I have heard most of the arguments about the other options -- .300 Winchester magnum, .300 Weatherby magnum, .340 Weatherby magnum, .375 H&H magnum, .325 WSM, .338 Remington Ultra Magnum, .378 Weatherby magnum -- and basically I can't imagine getting more practical use out of those other cartridges for my hunting. I have read a lot of positive testimonials about the .338 Winchester Magnum. I like the additional power it provides on elk and the greater protection against grizzly (should one be hunting elk in a grizzly environment) it allows, without overburdensome recoil which I would prefer to avoid.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

This feedback is exactly what I was looking for. Don't get me wrong I love my .308. It's an olderRemington Model 742 and it's a damn good rifle. I'm planning on having it re-blued this summer and then perhaps putting it away for special ocassional deer hunts. I've looked into the 30 -06 and a friend swears by it. But I want (and perhaps the 30 -06 is what I need but that's why I'm researching to make sure) a rifle that will have enough power to put down any game within say 400 yards and not have to guess if the job got done.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:00 PM

The 308 or 30-06 will work on any North American game animal, from as far away as you can hit them. The problem is not the cartridge, but rather the shooter. In my opinion, 400 yards is strecthing it just a tad. I personally limit myself to 300 yards or less. I can confidently hit a grapfruit out to the range, from a field position....so, I figure I can cleanly harvest a elk, deer, or whatever. Of course, the 300 Winchester Magnum is flatter shooting and has more power. The problem is shooting it well. Not that the 300 is inaccurate, it is in fact very accurate. I have trouble enjoying shooting anything much bigger than the 30-06. This causes me to not want to practice with it. When I say practice, I mean burning several hundreds rounds...not just zeroing your scope. The further you wish to shoot, the more you need to practice. My rifle rarely goes more than a week without being fired.

One of my biggest fears regarding long shot is not that I can not hit, but rather the time it takes the bullet to reach said target. How far can a deer move when you shoot at him from 400 yards away? Also, one must consider wind. Wind causes me more frustration than bullet drop ever has.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:26 PM
DM

A "reasonable distance" to me is what ever distance YOU can hit a paper pie plate under hunting conditions useing hunting positions and ammo. For some it will be 50 yards, for others it will 300 yards or ??

A .308 Win. useing 180 NP's will kill elk further away than you should be shooting at them.

Drilling Man
Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Take a look at the new WSM .325 it seems like a pretty nice go getter for all of those bigger critters that you may want to go after. It may be new but as far as that's concerned all of these cartridges were new at one point in time. Someone else may be able to tell you how the sales are going on this new round (for future availibility, etc) because I'm not real sure.

Quick Reply: Rifle advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.