Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO? >

WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO?

Old 12-12-2005, 08:19 AM

Default RE: WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO?

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i'll have to check into it, i have never heard that. i have always shot weatherby because, to me, they seem the most consistent from one box to another.

all you have to do to check the freebore is bolt 1 round into the chamber and extract it.. Take a look at the scratches on the copper bullet and you will see how far it is seating into the chamber.. All manufacturers seat the bullets back a bit so they fit in every gun... This is the big advantage to handloading.. The OAL (over all legnth) will be exactly the same and tailor made to the gun you are loading for... no more wobble before it hits the twist.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the local sporting goods store order me a case every year or so for my .243...Able to get them to knock $1.50 a box off ordering this way...I shoot Federal Premium.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: salty

i'll have to check into it, i have never heard that. i have always shot weatherby because, to me, they seem the most consistent from one box to another.

all you have to do to check the freebore is bolt 1 round into the chamber and extract it.. Take a look at the scratches on the copper bullet and you will see how far it is seating into the chamber.. All manufacturers seat the bullets back a bit so they fit in every gun... This is the big advantage to handloading.. The OAL (over all legnth) will be exactly the same and tailor made to the gun you are loading for... no more wobble before it hits the twist.

OAL
Some rifles (especially Weatherby Magnums) have well over .250" of free-bore to<br> ... A few years ago, Stoney Point designed a popular tool that does a good ...
http:/www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html
New Window-www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html][/url]Similar Sites-Archived
Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey rebel, got a question for you. is the accuracy difference worth the extra money spent for reloading or buying custom reloads? i'm not a tournament shooter, just a deer hunter.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Dominant Buck

hey rebel, got a question for you. is the accuracy difference worth the extra money spent for reloading or buying custom reloads? i'm not a tournament shooter, just a deer hunter.

Cop, I reloaded for more than 40yrs and stillhave all the equipment plus over 25 sets of dies, butI quit 10yrs ago. I liked killing game witha round that I loaded, makes you feel good and I enjoyed reloading also.
If your rifle is giving you tight groups@ 200yds with factory ammo and you can afford to buy them, why change? If you like reloading and test firing your rounds and spending time at the range, than it's worth it,go for it, but remember if you don't have all the proper equipment, you're pissing in the wind.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol, i hear ya. i wouls like to it...but i don't have the time right now. maybe in the future.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:43 AM

Not to butt in Rebel, but Camo, when reloading, your bullet choice goes thru the roof. You can do a whole lot more with fewer rifles than if you're stuck using factory foder. Not to mention, it's alot of fun!
Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

To expand on what Highpower said, if you don't really have the time right now and are occupided with other things on your mind, wait untill you can consentrate on reloading. Camo, you can't do things half-ass when you are reloading, you just can,t jam things together and get pissed when you make a mistake and no Quessing!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd like to experiment and try lighter projectiles. i love the ballistic tips, but i have been using 180 gr. the lightest load i have found for the wby .300 mag. is 150 gr.

i'm wondering about 130 gr.? would this be too light and cause inacuracy? i know my 180 gr. ballistic tips are firing at approximately 3400-3600 fps. i'd like to lighten the projectile to possibly make it shoot flatter. keep in mind i hunt florida...it's rare to shoot a deer over 160 pounds.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

keep in mind i hunt florida...it's rare to shoot a deer over 160 pounds.

Why in the world would you use an improved .300 H&H in FLA? Gosh man, I have taken moose in Canada with 6.5mmSwede and 156gr Norma ammo.

Gunnersden.com/Rifles/300 Weatherby Magnum

Quick Reply: WHERE DOES EVERYONE BUY THEIR AMMO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.