Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Accu-trigger 270 WSM >

Savage Accu-trigger 270 WSM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Accu-trigger 270 WSM

Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Savage Accu-trigger 270 WSM

I need one of these like the Arabs need more sand but I want to purchase a new Accu-Trigger Savage Synthetic stocked rifle and can't decide on a caliber. I don't really have any gaps in my arsonal except maybe in the Varmit rifle range. I guess a 223 or 22-250 would be the other option. Though I have had the good fortune to hunt about everything that walks, runs, crawls or swims, but deer and varmits will be the main menu in the future. I will probably do a couple more Black Bear and moose hunts up North but the 45-70 handles those chores like nothing else so I guess its in the small or medium range for this gun. Anyone have the 270 WSM in this rifle. I guess I am not sure which model it would be. Any feeding problems or stuff like that?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage Accu-trigger 270 WSM

ORIGINAL: James B

I don't really have any gaps in my arsonal except maybe in the Varmit rifle range. I guess a 223 or 22-250 would be the other option.
what are you talking about man, you have a 25-06 right?? thats my favorite varmit caliber My next long gun will be a Stainless Savage Accutrigger also. I am not quite sure what I want but heres where I leaning to right now. I might get a 30-06 and have it rechambered/rebarreled to a 338-06???!!!! I am intrigued about this caliber. Whaddaya think James?

Old 12-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

That would be a finebig game cartridge. Its probably more versitile than the 35 Whelen which is also a fine Moose/Bear cartridge. The 25-06 is a good varmit cartridge however for Prairie dogs its a handfull after a couple hundred rounds. Out here in the Dakotas, we are often attacked by these critters. I also have a couple of 250- Savage rifles which turn down the recoil and powder burn quite a bit. Even the old Swede with 100 grain bullets works pretty good for Prairie dogs. I have not tried the 95 Grain V-Max in that rifle but the weight of the rifle slows down the recoil as well. I have sat down and shot 300 rounds at a dog town in one afternoon. You won't feel that with a 223 but you will with a 25-06.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:10 PM

.223 cheap ammo. I really want a savage accutrigger in .223,,, they shoot fantastic.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I have sat down and shot 300 rounds at a dog town in one afternoon. You won't feel that with a 223 but you will with a 25-06.
that sounds awesome!!!!! when can i come????????
Old 12-10-2005, 03:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nd and SD are both full of prairie dogs. I think the seasons start in late March but I would have to double check. The ND Montana border area is a good place. Both states have a lot of Public dog shooting areas. I will check it out. When I lived down in SD there was a dog town right beside our steel silhouette range and after the matches we would shoot dogs with our silhouette rifles. Mine was a 308. Thats probably part of the reason that I need a new shoulder joint.. 190 grain BTHP bullets fromthe 308, more than takes care of prairie dogs.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

James B,

I bought a Savage model 16, synthetic stock, stainless steel , accu-triggerin 270 wsm last year.I am very pleased with the rifle andits accuracy. The trigger is excellent and I have not had any feeding issues with the gun. I installed aLeupold base, rings and a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope. It has performed as expected on deer.

My one minor complaint is the synthetic stockis just a little too flimsy for mytaste. I will be upgrading to a better synthetic or laminate stock in the off season and I may upgrade the scope the next year.

My whole reason for buying the gun initially is I wanted one of the WSM rifles. Likeyou, I did not need it but I wanted it. I had always heard how accurate the Savage rifles were and how the Bushnell Elite 3200's were a great deal as well. So I decided to try them out all at oncetogether.After this experiment I would not hesitate to buy either product again in the future.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for that report. I have been wanting to try the Accu-trigger. I have not had a great desire to try the WSM but I really like the 270 and I think the WSM will perform about like the 270 Win. I like the idea of the longer barrel than my standard 270. I have a new Aetec with the lighted rectical to try out as well as a Scheels Hunter scope in 4x14 with sunshade and AO. I also have a Leupold Rifleman on the shelf.