Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cold bore shot opinions needed! >

Cold bore shot opinions needed!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cold bore shot opinions needed!

Old 12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cold bore shot opinions needed!

Also target with heavy barrel and 20-30 thousands between stock and barrel.
Is the barrel not already free floated?

Old 12-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Yes stubblejumper it is but it seems you are the only one that reads all the post's before answering.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:53 PM

lol
Old 12-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Beautiful gun that doesn't shoot the way its should for no apparent reason? Sounds like aRuger. Was going to pick one up myself this past weekend in 30-06 ss with a laminate stock on sale at Gander MT, beautiful gun, but then noticed that I could fit a quarter between the barrel and stock on the right side and had them both touching on the left(one of the few times I could notice a problem up front with a ruger, got 3 other rugers). Good looking guns, from their single action revolvers all the way up the lineto the mini 14s, model 1and 77/Mk11, but always a crap shoot as tohow each individual Ruger gun will perform with no rhyme or reason to explain it most of the time and the cost to correct far too prohibitive. My guess is you'll never get that gun to shoot right and you'll never know exactly why either. take care and hope you find a cheap fix.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok, everyone else has thrown in all the suggestions I was going to say......so I am thinking outside the box here and throwing something else out. Heat from 1st shot to 2nd shouldnt affect anything, maybe 4th, 5th or 6th but not from #1 to #2. However I had a problem where one of my scopes was mounted too close to the barrel. I had the wrong rings. At ambient temp you could see light (barely) between the scope and barrel, but after the first shot it closed up. Im just throwing a different suggestion in the mix. Could the scope be being touched and moved up by the barrel??
Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love to get my hands on guns like this....If I'm reading everything properly...This gun is grouping 2 inches at 100 yards...Its a heavy barrel Ruger thats been free floated in 25-06??? That thing ought to do under an inch at 100 yards....

1) I can't remember if that model is factory free-floated or not...I would check to see that the barrel is not touching the stock in any point...I would also loosen the bedding screws....and tighten the front one good and tight...while having your thumb on the tang....then tighten the tang screw...the tang shouldn't move after the front screw is tightened...in other words the action shouldn't pivot or "rock" in the stock...if bedded properly....This is why we glass bed or piller bed stocks...to give the barrel a good platform....If you do have this pivot....it needs to be corrected...

2) Check all the scope screws...this is what is nice about Rugers...they can all be tightened without taking off the scope...

3) Clean the barrel...get all the copper out...I like Sweets...Outers doesn't get it done...Make sure you remove the bolt and clean from the breech...

4)Assuming you are shooting factory loads...Get at least 3 different loads...
I have seen guns shoot 3-4 inch groups with one brand and 1 1/4 with another...

5) Get a good shooting bench, sand bags (a bag of corn works ok) rifle rest ..etc...too many guys expect 3/4 inch groups shooting off the hood of their truck...

6)If it is still not grouping...check the scope by either replacing with a known good one...or shooting a square...

7)If you do have to bed this gun...replace the trigger...with Timney etc...

Old 12-08-2005, 12:15 PM

I am shooting federals with nosler partitions they group shots 2,3 and four at about 2 inches at ahundred. winchesters and remington factory loads group half of that. the barrel is factory floated but I removed a little more from stock. the scope is a nikon monarch and have checked all screws for tightness and has a good 1/8 betweenobjective and barrel. bolt and receiver feel tight! receiver screw is tight. I just ordered some buches bore cleaner and new rod and brush, Yes I have been useing a cheep (Walmart)solvent! As I live in a small town. I'm having this problem at local range off sand bags and use this same setup with my costom built .17 hmr that shootsscary small groups. I s it possible going back to rem's or win's could make this problem go away?

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I love to get my hands on guns like this....If I'm reading everything properly...This gun is grouping 2 inches at 100 yards...Its a heavy barrel Ruger thats been free floated in 25-06??? That thing ought to do under an inch at 100 yards....

1) I can't remember if that model is factory free-floated or not...I would check to see that the barrel is not touching the stock in any point...I would also loosen the bedding screws....and tighten the front one good and tight...while having your thumb on the tang....then tighten the tang screw...the tang shouldn't move after the front screw is tightened...in other words the action shouldn't pivot or "rock" in the stock...if bedded properly....This is why we glass bed or piller bed stocks...to give the barrel a good platform....If you do have this pivot....it needs to be corrected...

2) Check all the scope screws...this is what is nice about Rugers...they can all be tightened without taking off the scope...

3) Clean the barrel...get all the copper out...I like Sweets...Outers doesn't get it done...Make sure you remove the bolt and clean from the breech...

4)Assuming you are shooting factory loads...Get at least 3 different loads...
I have seen guns shoot 3-4 inch groups with one brand and 1 1/4 with another...

5) Get a good shooting bench, sand bags (a bag of corn works ok) rifle rest ..etc...too many guys expect 3/4 inch groups shooting off the hood of their truck...

6)If it is still not grouping...check the scope by either replacing with a known good one...or shooting a square...

7)If you do have to bed this gun...replace the trigger...with Timney etc...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can cut your group in half...from 2 inches to 1 inch...I would use the Remingtons or the Winchesters...I would double check the barrel channel...after it was free floated did you treat the stock with poly or another sealent??? If that still looks good...I bet its in the bedding...If this gun will shoot a 1-1 1/2 inch group after the 1st shot...that should eliminate the scope/screws/rings etc...gotta be in the bedding of the action/barrel...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: gene62

I am shooting federals with nosler partitions they group shots 2,3 and four at about 2 inches at ahundred. winchesters and remington factory loads group half of that.
Boy, if it were me, I'd shoot whatever factory ammo gave me the best group. When you say remington factory ammo are you just talking about corelokts? Or have you tried the premium grades? For example, the Remington Safari Grade has the Swift A Frame bullet which I believe will be similar in performance, in terms of the bullet, to what you're shooting. There is a Swift Scirrocco too which is a premium bullet. I'm only familiar with Remington because they seem to shoot best in my gun, and I don't know what is available for your caliber or what you're lookign for in a bullet.

But that still doesn't address the huge discrepancy between your first shot and second. That isn't a group size issue, imho.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:25 PM

The corelokts. and the cheep Win. superX's
ORIGINAL: zekeskar

Boy, if it were me, I'd shoot whatever factory ammo gave me the best group. When you say remington factory ammo are you just talking about corelokts? bullet.

But that still doesn't address the huge discrepancy between your first shot and second. That isn't a group size issue, imho.