Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 smoothbore or rifled barrel >

smoothbore or rifled barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

smoothbore or rifled barrel

Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM

Default smoothbore or rifled barrel

I want to get a slug barrel for my winchester 1300.I cant afford to shoot sabots, so rifled or smoothbore. i hear rifled barrels lead up pretty quick and lose accurary.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 PM

Default RE: smoothbore or rifled barrel

I would get a rifled barrel any way. Just clean it every 5 shots or so. The accuracy will be much better, even if you use rifled slugs out of it. And you never know you might decide to shoot sabots one day. They are only expensive to test them out and see what your gun likes. Once you do that you probably won't shoot the gun much after that.

Paul
Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 PM

where i hunt its not uncommon to shoot more than 5 shots a day. We do a lot of drives and the shooting is fast. I dont see many deer standing still. i haven't quite mastered the skill of hitting them on the run yet.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 PM

I shot two deer on the run with my smooth bore on sunday. On drives you should be able to get close enough that shooting a smooth bore would be fine. I had a normla barrel with a modifed choke with just the bead and i was shooting just fine for the distances i needed to. When I'm in the stand I have a scoped shotgun with a rifled barrel and sabots though.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Smoothbore...rifled barrels take large chunks of lead out of a rifled slug..which greatly reduces accuracy...get a smoothbore barrel...they shootjust as well...i have a smoothbore that shoots groups i can cover with my fist at eighty yards...And they have more lead and weigh more...the plastic in a sabot takes up room in the barrel...trust me after eight shots with a rifled slug in a rifled barrel...u wont even see the rifling...And cleaning it is almost immpossible...Ik i tryed it once and had to boil water to soften the lead and remove it...
Old 12-06-2005, 08:02 AM

Rifled barrels are significantly more accurate than a smooth bore, they don't take "large chunks" of lead out of the bullet. They will how ever lead out over time and need to be cleaned. How many shots will depend on the rifle and load you use. When I say accuracy falls off in my gun I mean it won't shoot 2 inch groups or better at 100 yards anymore.

I don't shoot at running deer either, so I guess I'm the wrong person to ask. I rarely fire more than shot in a season at live game which is why I own a single shot shotgun and a ML.

As much as I hate to say it maybe buckshot would be a decent route for you.

Paul
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

If you are going to shoot rifle slugs, then Iwould recommendsmooth bore barrel. Rifle bore barrels are not made for rifle slugs even though you could rifle slugs in them. I shoot rifle slug out of my smooth bore and it is just as accurate any rifle bore barrel out there. Shot for shot, I would take my smooth bore over any rifle bore barrel.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:22 AM

What do you think we used out of rifled barrels before sabots were popular? Rifled barrels have been around for quite a while. They were originally designed to make foster style slugs more accurate.

You have a smooth bore that will shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards? If so you should consider yourself lucky, I have never seen that before. I have seen some that shoot acceptable groups at 80 or so yards, but not what I would call good.

Paul