Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rifled slug barrel ammo >

rifled slug barrel ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifled slug barrel ammo

Old 12-04-2005, 06:18 PM

Default rifled slug barrel ammo

ok this is the deal i have a rifled slug barrel and i am currenly shoot sabots at 9 bucks per 5 slugs. that is a bit too expensive to me right now. if i just shoot the rifled slugs though this barrel how much damage will this cause and how much will i lose in accuracy. thanks, pistol pete.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 PM
BS

Default RE: rifled slug barrel ammo

Before sabots that is all we had to shoot, they do lead the barrel. Just get a good brush and use it after 5 to 7 shots. Then send one down the clean barrel and check point of impact. [ the clean , dirty thing ]

Try different brands,............. but they don't group as well as some of the sabots.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.lightfieldslugs.com
Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 PM

9 bucks a box for sabots, you should consider yourself lucky. That is the lower end around here.

I shoot rifled slugs out of my H&R, they work pretty well for the money. Mine only goes about 3 shots or so before the accuracy falls off and the gun needs to be cleaned though. It will not hurt it at all, but but it is a mess when you clean it.

Most rifled slugs don't offer any where near the ballistics or bullet performance of a good saboted slug though. Some of the more modern ones can be between 10-14 bucks a box. But the performance is worth it to some. They are more expensive then they should be in my opinion. I don't see how they justify it.

Paul
Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 AM

I have a gun set up for slugs with a scope and a rifled barrel and I didn't even use it this year. I was trying to get it zeroed and got sick of spending the $12 on slugs. It acurate and has great knock down power, but it comes with it's downsides. Yesterday I killed two does during the last day of our gun season with my Browning Gold with winchester magnum rifled slugs. I don't think they do as well as sabots and a rifled barrel, but dead is dead.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Actually rifled slugs have always seemed to have greater knockdown power in my shotgun....Think of it this way...ur using a 45 cal bullet in a fifty caliber...if u ask me its a waste of power...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:49 PM

Actually it has more to do with how that power is transfered. A smaller diameter bullet if it is designed better can be more effective than a large solid slug. Most centerfires use fairly light bullets yet they will knock a deer down in its tracks. This is because they have way more velocity and better bullet designs.

Most of the newer modern sabots use a XTP based bullet in 50 caliber that has a better BC and can deliver more hydrostatic shock than a regular large diameter slug can.

Paul