Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bore butter

Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 AM

Default bore butter

I just got finished cleaning my TC 209-50 and I used the bore butter on the inside and out. I then cleaned a couple of my other guns with it. I was embarrassed to find out how muchrust was on my exterior that I couldn't see.... Anyways, anyone ever use it on the exterior of their guns?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bore butter

ORIGINAL: funeralplanner1

I just got finished cleaning my TC 209-50 and I used the bore butter on the inside and out. I then cleaned a couple of my other guns with it. I was embarrassed to find out how muchrust was on my exterior that I couldn't see.... Anyways, anyone ever use it on the exterior of their guns?
Bore Butter is essentially Crisco with yellow food coloring in it. I find it useful as a shooting patch lube and a lead bullet lube for BP guns. It is poor for a preservative/rust preventer. Use Birchwood casey SHEATH for preventing rust, NOT BORE BUTTER!!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:34 PM

That is what I was using, and I was taking rust off with the bore butter. Oh well, maybe a fluke thing.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM

Interior ....bore butter. Exterior Blue wonder then a light coat of oil. Regards, Rick.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 48thguns

Interior ....bore butter. Exterior Blue wonder then a light coat of oil. Regards, Rick.
If you saturate a patch with SHEATH and use it to swab the bore and to wipe off all steel exterior surfaces, you will absolutely prevent all possible rust anywhere, and you don't have a blob of grease or oil in the bore that you have to make sure is totally removed before you can load the rifle next time!

This is, of course, after you have cleaned the bore and other steel parts thoroughly by whatever favorite means of cleaning you use to get all powder fouling off.