Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Muzzel loder=slug? >

Muzzel loder=slug?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzel loder=slug?

Old 10-10-2002, 09:36 PM

Default Muzzel loder=slug?

I've always wonderd about the Muzzel loders and there power in comparreson with reguler guns .So would a .45 or .50 cal. Muzzel loder be equivalent to a 20 Ga. slug? or less or more??
also from what i here muzel useres stay to less than 75 yards,how true is that??
Thanks
Safty # 1
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzel loder=slug?

Modern muzzleloaders can be very effective to over 150 yards.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Rem. 700MLS 50 cal, I shot 44Cal saboted 240GR XTP bullets, charged with 100GR of Pyrodex Powder. MV is 1675 FPS. It shots 1" groups at 100 and 4" groups at 200. However it also drops 12-14" 100-200. I limit my hunting shots to 150ish, but I have actually only shot one deer that was over a 100 anyways. I would say most modern day MLers would feel 100-150 would be their range limits. I do however know of many guys who will shot 200 or farther. It is really like anything else, through practice you know what your limits are and adjust appropriately. I will say BP is a addictive, but it isn't for the faint of heart. I spent many hours trialing loads and shooting to get the combo and the confidence I have now. If you are expecting 1" groups when you walk on the range...forget it. I think it is maybe one of the reason I really love BP, the main reason is we get a month jump where I hunt on the rifle season.

I would say it would compare to 12 ga. slug gun, since most guys feel 100-150 is the limit. However I have never used one or owned one so just guessing.

I will say it is more than enough power to kill a deer. A common misconception of BP's, is range, failure (misfires,etc), knock down power and accuracy. it does require more effort and measures than rifles but I have yet to not have my gun go bang when it counted!!

Old 10-11-2002, 10:48 AM

I definatly favor the muzzeloader over the shotgun any time, the only think it lacks is rate of fire, and if you are worried about rate of fire and deer hunting, you have bigger issues.
with a 150gr charge i consider the muzzelloader a 200 yard gun.

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 10-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Because they use entirely different kinds of bullets, the muzzleloader is superior to ANY shotgun using Foster-type slugs. BUT, the new "Partiton-Gold" type of sabot shotgun slugs are something else again! These make a rifled shotgun into a big-bore rifle, at least equal to a .454 Casull or a medium-loaded .45/70!! But you can only use them in a rifled tube, so these can't be considered a "shotgun" any more!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-14-2002, 05:45 AM
bigcountry

I know with the data out there, they would seem almost equivilent. But from personal experience, a 12Ga 3" copper solide slug is much more devistating than a .44" 240gr XTP with 100gr of Pyrodex behind it. I have yet to see a deer drop in its tracks from shots from my muzzleloader, but have seen shots in the shoulders with a 12ga that pick large deer up and throw it down. And this is anywhere from 10-15 deer. Before others post, I know others may have different experiences, but this is just mine.

Old 10-14-2002, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, the new-type slugs shot from rifled barrels are MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE than muzzleloader bullets, at least those under .58 caliber, and also much better than Foster-type slugs!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said I have no experience nor needed to shoot a slug gun. I however have seen my load drop deer in their tracks with my ML, in fact on Saturday evening I put a large doe down with a 134 Yard shot to her lungs and the damage was imense. She jumped 5 feet in the air, took a step and fell on her nose, end of story. She caped out at 112 Lbs, so she wasn't a bambi. Now the big mule I hit went 50 yards before piling into a tree, again double lung and he tipped the scale well over 350 on the hoof. So my experience is the 50 cal will put them down with the best of them, I won't argue as quick as a rifle and can't say as fast as slug gun...but with the right shot and load they work just fine for this cat.

Old 10-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can take anything on North America with a .50 caliber muzzleloader.

Old 10-18-2002, 08:31 PM

well according to a show I watched this week on the outdoor channel they can be used against cape buffalo. that's right there is a muzzleloader saboted bulled designed for one of the big 5 league dangerous game.

Quick Reply: Muzzel loder=slug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.