Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Most acurate bolt action >

Most acurate bolt action

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most acurate bolt action

Old 10-14-2002, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Most acurate bolt action

Again I challenge anyone to provide proof that savage(or anyone else for that matter) makes the most accurate production rifle.I have seen tests pitting several different varmint rifles against each other in the april 1994 and april 1997 issues of the shooting times and savage did no better than 4th out of five rifles in both tests.Incidently using true varmint cartridges(not specialized target rounds) remington had the most accurate rifles in both tests.Using the 22ppc cartridge a sako narrowly beat out a 220swift remington.Still in order to claim the title of most accurate production rifle a test would have to be conducted where several models in several chamberings for a total of ten or so rifles from each company would have to be pitted against each other in a shoot off and the average group sizes compared.The rifles would have to be randomly selected from dealers stocks to ensure that they were truly average rifles and not carefully selected ringers.To my knowledge this has never been done so there is really no proof of who really makes the most accurate production rifle.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 10/14/2002 20:44:25
Old 10-14-2002, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2002, 06:13 PM

Savage..no question!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Accuracy claims not withstanding..If the sight of cheap stocks, pot metal bottom metal and cheap actions,poor bolt design and a barrel nut don't turn you off nothing will.. I personally don't believe the accuracy claims being spewed by Savage owners or others.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:13 PM

i would have to say between..

savage and sako/tikka firearms

Old 10-16-2002, 02:15 PM

i would have to say the brownign A-bolt, savage and from what i have seen and heard, the sako/ tikka frearms. i have found personally that the savage and browning gets very good groups using almost any kind of factory ammo.

Old 10-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quilly, from my own experience with Sakos they have outstanding materials and workmanship but have been disappointing in the accuracy department. I would take one on a wilderness hunt 40 miles frm the nearest road in a heartbeat though and not worry about them malfunctioning no matter the weather or conditions. I have owned A bolts and shot other Abolts that neighbors and friends have owned and can say they are probably the best out of the box gun I have ever shot and using both factory and handloads. If a savage can outdo them I would have to see it in person and I seriously doubt they can. Remingtons can be accurate also but they have never been near an A bolt accuracy wise unless I messed with the bedding and did a trigger job. That said I would never take a A bolt 40 miles from the nearest road on a wilderness hunt. Never owned a Savage and if they continue building their guns the way they do probably never will either, just something about them that makes my blood run cold must be the barrel nut,cheap trigger and floorplate/clip assembly.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:39 AM

I'm a big fan of Savage rifles. I've found them very hard to beat for the money, but in reality the ones I've owned haven't been any more accurate on average the the Winchester, Remington, etc's that I've owned.

Every Sako (probably 15 or so) and Tikka (only 3)I've owned have been exceptionaly accurate. Exceeding their 1" guarantee has never been a problem with handloads and normally it's been obtainable with premium factory loads.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just thought of this while posting on another thread. Though they are no longer made, they are still plentiful and very cheap for the quality you get, Swedish model 98 and model 38 military rifles have a much deserved reputation for accuracy. I have 2 of this type of rilfe, one is over 100 years old and both are more accurate with factory ammo and iron sights than most mass produced scoped hunting rifles made today. I say 'most' because occasionally Remchester, Weatherby, or Savage might produce a copy of a rifle where everything is perfect and fits right and gets astounding accuracy.

The design of the rifle is pretty much obsolete and not as strong as anything made today but the Swedish Armorers were fanatically anally retentive and would reject and rebuild a rifle if any of its critical parameters fell below standards that are probably at or above what new modern rifles are at new out of the factory.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 10-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Most acurate bolt action

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.