Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Does this Slug Gun Exist? >

Does this Slug Gun Exist?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does this Slug Gun Exist?

Old 11-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Spike

Default Does this Slug Gun Exist?

Is there a shotgun that is made for shooting deer slugs that can shoot accurately "Out of the Box" ??? (scope tuning not considered)

I'm ready to retire my inconsistent Ithaca Model 37 w/ deerslayer.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:00 PM

Default RE: Does this Slug Gun Exist?

Good friend of mine has a single shot slug gun that'll take deer out to about 125 yards. Not sure of the group size, though. I'm pretty sure it's a NEF with a heavy barrel.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Their are several out their. The Browning Abolt would probably be at the top. Their is also the savage bolt action(210?), Remington 11-87 with rifled cantilever barrel, H&R Ultra slug hunter, Browning gold with rifled cantilever barrel, and the Winchester X2 rifled with cantilever. All of these, with the proper round will be plenty accurate out to 125 yards. Good luck
Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 PM

I think most any of the newer shotguns with rifled barrels will shoot accurately out of the box. You just need to find the right ammo is all.

What do you consider accurate? I don't think 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards is out of the question and 3 or 4 inches at 100 yards should be pretty easy to get.

I own a H&R Ultra Delux, and I have friends that own remington pump and semi auto's and I a few that own mossy 500's. They will all shoot 2 inch or under groups at 100 yards off from a bench with the right ammo.

I will give you a tip though, if you are shooting a shotgun with a removable barrel it either needs to be pinned to the reciever or the scope needs to be mounted to the barrel in order to get consistant accuracy. If you have reciever mounted sights and a barrel that doesn't fit really tight you will have trouble getting good accuracy.

What model do you have? An older deer slayer, or a newer deer slayer II or III. Does it have a rifled barrel? The newer models have heavy barrels that are screwed right into the reciever and are pretty darn accurate. What kind of slugs are you using out of it?

And could it be you, not the gun? Some people just don't shoot a slug gun very well.

Paul
Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Retire or sell?

They do exist. Heck, the last 3 I bought have more than met my expectations.

1. 12 gauge H&R Ultra Slug Deluxe w/ 4X scope.

2. 20 gauge H&R Ultra Slug standard model w/ 4X scope.

3. Mossberg 12 gauge rifled/ported slug barrel w/ 3-9X scope. Factory "laser
bore sighted". $169.99 + tax. Put it on older Moss 500 and it shoots
1-1/4 oz. BuckHammers excellently. My buddy bought the same Mossy
combo for his 870 and it too shoots very well. Both right out of box.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Spike

Paul,

It's an older model 37. My dad actually gave it to me years ago, it was his gun. I have a Leupold shotgun scope installed on the receiver not the barrel. I have been shooting the remington sluggers since the sabots did not seem to shoot very well. I think I got that from the forum last year regarding trying the rifled slugs and that helped, but it's still not consistent. Is it me? I don't think so. I can shoot a muzzleloader with iron sights and drop deer at 80 yards with no problem. I can group better with my bow at 40 yards. I'm convinced it's the gun.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 AM
bigcountry

If it has a rifled barrel and you have shot alot of sluggers thru it, sounds as if it maybe leaded up.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot lightfield slugs out of my winchester 1300 black shadow. Its 12 gauge, i can put 3 slugs one at 10, one at 25, and one at 50 almost all through the same hole shoots low to the left about a inch. But i never fixed my sights yet so that was out of the box. And it groups GOOD!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage 210 certainly qualifies...and is my personal choice for general field use.

The gun is easily capable of 1-2 in groups at 100yds right out of the box with the proper ammunition. I have found the Remington Core Lokt Ultras to work in perfect combination with the Savage 210.

Below is a pic of my 210, the last 3 shot group I fired at the range, and finallya buck I took at about 90ydsthrough the woods last weekend.

Savage 210...

Range group

NY Shotgun Buck

Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 PM

Get the H&R SLug Gun in 12 Gauge bore but in a 10Gauge Barrel.

Quick Reply: Does this Slug Gun Exist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.