Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Dominant left eye/right handed >

Dominant left eye/right handed

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dominant left eye/right handed

Old 11-15-2005, 04:37 PM

Default RE: Dominant left eye/right handed

I am left eye dominate & right handed. I shoot from the right shoulder and close the left eye. This is no problem for rifle shooting. I have beenvery sucessfull at military rifle competitions in the past. The only time this will be a problem is when shooting with both eyes open (ie:shotguning). Ammittedly I am not the best with a shot gun but still use only one eye. If the rifle does not comfortablably come to the shoulder having a right handed person shoot from the left shoulder will only make the process worse.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2005, 06:02 PM

as a former military firearms instructor you have a pretty good training session planned. However, I would shoot three rounds and try and get a good shot group prior to adjusting the sights. Just my .02
Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Shooting a rifle is no problem as previously noted since I close my left eye. With a shotgun, I have shot right handed, left handed, both eyes open, one eye shut. After all this, I just felt better shooting right handed with both eyes open. Also as noted before, you point a shotgun not aim it.

That said, I think you are doing the right thing figuring out what works best for your wife, especially since she hasn't develped any bad habits yet.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 01:29 PM

I am cross dominante and I shoot handguns right handed, as I am right handed, and shoot long guns left handed. I mostly shoot shotgun but when I do shoot a rifle I shoot that left handed as if I shot it right handed it feels funny. Finding out what works for her is a good Idea but if you can start her off shooting left handed she will never know any better.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am right eye dominant and right handed.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Spike

I am left eye dominant and right handed. I taught myself how to shoot: Or should I say, I am still working on learning how to shoot.

It was natural for me to pick up a gun and hold it right handed. I am abler to shoot rifles and bows really well. Open sights with two pins are also not an issue. When shotgunning for turkey, I have two pins I line up and have never missed a bird.

Waterfowl, doves, clay pigeons and upland hunting are a whole different story. At times I close the wrong eye, or find myself trying to aim. Thias is more mechanics than eye dominance. If I keep both eyes open and shoot the bird instead of aiming th e gun, I do better.

I rarely shhot a pistol.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: KYFRED

If I keep both eyes open and shoot the bird instead of aiming the gun, I do better.

You are going to be 3-4ft off your POI if you don't cover the left eyepupil.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:30 PM

I am a right handed shooter and Left eye dominant as well. I shoot handguns right handed with my left eye (head canted to right) But my rifle and shotgunning are done with my right eye anyways. It has not effected my shooting at all, an i am very left eye dominant. Isnt hard for me to notice, i just have to close my left eye when shooting long guns.
Chris
Old 11-17-2005, 08:21 PM

I cant do the same as you guys[&o]. Im right handed, but left eye dominant, HOWEVER, i can only close my right eye, and when i tried to hold both opens it just didnt work for me. So i have accepted it. Its not problem for me, except that i could probably work the actions faster the other way bc i am a natural right hander.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:26 PM

Its not been discussed yet that they're are different amounts of eye dominance...everything from equal (cross-dominance) all the way to very extreme right or left. Luckily I'm left handed and strongly left eye dominant. So much so that as a kid I taught myself to shoot left handed with a semi-auto .22. Despite those hot shells flying across in front of my eye I quickly made that connection that if I wanted to hit anything I was gonna have to shoot left handed, even if grandpa (who, naturally, was the best shot IN THE WORLD) had showed my how right handed. If you're wife is stronly left eye dominant she'll have no trouble learning to shoot left handed. Auto's haven't given me and troubles since I've grown, bolts I treat like single shots, and pistols...well I lucked out cause I'm left handed (although it sucks that double actions swing out to the left) I have strong enough dominance that I shoot scopes both eyes open without problem...it may be psychological but I think it actual helps "brighten" the image in low light situations. I also find I flinch less if I keep both eyes open. Certainly start her left handed.

Quick Reply: Dominant left eye/right handed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.