Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What I hate about some slugguns >

What I hate about some slugguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What I hate about some slugguns

Old 11-14-2005, 08:27 AM
bigcountry

Default What I hate about some slugguns

They sell these versions at are "dedicated slugguns, 1187, 870, BPS, Gold, etc. I have a Gold Deer sluggun. But they still don't put on a decent stock to where you can cheek it properly with a scope.

I have to add a cheek kit or comb raising kit cause they were not made to be cheeked like a rifle but lower.

The gold shoots great, better than any sluggun I have had before, but if you are going to put out a "dedicated" deer slug gun, at least put the proper stock on it. Does anyone agree?

I see it with all the shotguns. I am surprised that a few stock companies hasn't caught on.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 AM

Default RE: What I hate about some slugguns

I dont really notice it because I shoot slugs with open sights, but I have wondered how you can take a 'bird' gun, put a different barrell on it, and BAM you have a dedicated slugger?

To find one with a proper fit, you'd almost need to buy a bolt or single shot, which I think I will at the end of the year.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:02 AM
bigcountry

I say you wouldn't notice. What I am talking about here is raised scope.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 AM

I agree, even my Ultra Slug gun doesn't have a high enough comb to shoot properly with a scope. It it only comes with a scope mount? And I don't have a big scope or high rings either. I have to pick my head up off the stock to see properly.

My remingtion 700 ml is the same way.

At least you try to solve the problem. I just roll with it. I tried one of those foam raising kits and didn't care for it much.

Now that I think of it, my savage 17HMR doesn't have the proper stock, and it doesn't come with open sights either. I'm going to try and get a Richards micro fit stock for it though.

Paul
Old 11-15-2005, 11:59 AM

I dont know if this helps your problem at all, but I put a red dot on my shotgun. That way, you dont really have to find your eye relief, just look through it. I dont think I will ever put a scope on my slug gun.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm pretty sure the rem 1100's 11-87's and 870's can be ordered with a stock with a raised comb. this may be something to check into.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree completely with Bigcountry and in fact have brought this issue up in the past while describing the Savage 210 stocks.

I utilize a bear tooth comb raising kit to get a semi custom fit with my 210. The other option available for the Savage 210 is a Mcmillan aftermarket stock. The stock was designed by Mcmillan specifically for the 210 after a number of owners approached the company complaining about the exact subject of this thread...

Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 AM

Remington's slug guns that have cantilever barrels come with the "Monte Carlo" stock. Perfect height.

Here is the gun I have:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_slug.asp

The raised comb is actally more like the one in this pic:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_deer.asp

All of the synthetic monte carlo's are the same, don't let the stock in the first pic fool you. That stock always has my cheek in the perfect alignment with the scope when I bring it up.

As with the other brands, I don't know what to tell you. When I need a specialty gun for turkey or deer, I always turn to Remington.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:23 AM

You are telling me that with a scope mounted on that gun your eye lines up with the scope with a proper cheek weld? It looks like like way too much drop to me and you would have to pick your face up off the stock to line up with the scope.

It looks like they tried by puting a raid portion on the the stock, but ruined it by adding too much drop in the stock. Hard to say without shouldering one, but look at the two pics and compare them. They look like they have pretty much the same line of sight, the stocks just look different is all.

Paul
Old 11-16-2005, 09:34 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: djgj200

Remington's slug guns that have cantilever barrels come with the "Monte Carlo" stock. Perfect height.

Here is the gun I have:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_slug.asp

The raised comb is actally more like the one in this pic:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_deer.asp

All of the synthetic monte carlo's are the same, don't let the stock in the first pic fool you. That stock always has my cheek in the perfect alignment with the scope when I bring it up.

As with the other brands, I don't know what to tell you. When I need a specialty gun for turkey or deer, I always turn to Remington.
Excellent, they finally started doing that. I know they didn't years ago when I hunted with an 870.

Quick Reply: What I hate about some slugguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.