Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun no longer holds a group >

Gun no longer holds a group

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun no longer holds a group

Old 11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun no longer holds a group

Last year my Remington 710 30-06 was shooting 1-inch groups at 100yds. shooting 180-gr. power points. I upgraded the scope on it to one with coated lenses that let in more light this year. This year I haven't been able to get it to shoot consistently. I'm not sure whats wrong with it. I'm considering selling it at a pawn shop and getting a H&R Handi Rifle in 30-06 with a muzzleloading barrel to relace it. Any body have any idea what would make it so inconsistent from year to year orany input on the switch to an H&R?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun no longer holds a group

If all you did was put a new scope on it...I believe you are having problems with the scope...
Old 11-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

iwould check the scoe the rings the bases maybe even remount it and rebore sight my wife shoots a handi rifle its ok shoots maybe inch to inch and a half groups at best, most ammo groups larger but no real complaints
Old 11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

first I would check to make sure all of your mounting screws are tight. Then I would check to make sure your scope isnt too close to the barrel. Did you change rings? If so I have seen crappy rings that are not true and not have 100% surface contact on the scope. Sounds like you have alot of things to check before you scrap the scope. Have you disassembled the gun? Maybe the screws that hold the stock on arent tight?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

mossy33oak may have hit this on the head. I have a 700 SS in 280 that would shoot less than 1 inch groups. My third year with it the best group I could get was 2 plus inches and the groups would be all over high low right. Checked the action screws (by the trigger guard) and found both loose put on a little loc-tite tightened them up and groups are back to normal.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:44 PM

Gotta ditto the guys - you have to double check each and every mounting screw, nut, etc. Also, I've had scopes that required a shot or a good knock to "settle" after adjustment. I just give it a good rap with whatever suitable I have on hand, but I've seen guys at the range with little rubber reflex hammer kind of things (like docs use). You adjust and knock it before you shoot. If you don't, the first shot out the barrel won't be to the same impact point as the next because the first shot settles the scope to where you adjusted it. If your scope is doing this and if you don't know about it, you can get odd groups and also chase the zero all over the target.

What kind of scope? I've had top quality and medium quality scopes and haven't found that makes a difference in accuracy - more in the area of sharpness, brightness etc. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

The scopes a Bushnell Banner and I'll try shootring once more this weekend and then go back and examine everything.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check all of the mounts as others suggested first.

If its shooting to the same point of aim every time but with bigger groups
, you probably have a parallex problem. If you put the gun in a steady rest and move your head a little bit while aiming at a target at 100 yards and the crosshairs move, this is what is called parallex. The parallex correction for your scope might be set at a longer range such as 200 yards, try shooting at a longer range to see if your groups don't tighten up.

Also check to make sure that your barrel isn't fouled up with copper- give it a good cleaning.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with all that everyone else has said about loose screws, parrallax, etc, but I feel Briman is right on. Buy some good copper remover, and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. This cleared up loose grouping many times. Good luck--------
Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 PM

i wouldnt scrap the gun i would check the rings and scope and all that and if it still doesnt work send the scope to the company chances are you may have got a lemon and if that dont work put the old scope back on her.

Quick Reply: Gun no longer holds a group

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.