Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ? about the .280 remington >

? about the .280 remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

? about the .280 remington

Old 11-09-2005, 06:49 PM

Default ? about the .280 remington

hello fellas.i am pondering the idea of getting a remington m700 custon ks in .280 remington caliber.i never hear anyone talking about this caliber.is it not accurate or something.i just want to know the good,bad or ugly about it.
thanks,
whitearrow->>>------------------>
Old 11-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ? about the .280 remington

welcome whitearrow, dont own one but have shot a few, there are several people on here that love them that should chime in at anytime...

from what i've seen and heard they are a very good cartridge and very close in performanceto a 7mag, most people that i know that shoot them have 24"+ tubes[:-]
Old 11-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its one of the best big game cartridges out there. It will do everything the 270 will do only a bit better. I have had two with 24 and 26 inch barrel. One (the 24 inch) would get better velocity than the Winchester 7MM Mag that I had at the time. Both would reach 3200 fps with the 140 grain bullet but my 7Mag showed excessive pressure at that velocity. It does almost the velocity of the 7Mag with less powder and recoil. The only down side that I could see is that factory ammo is not available everywhere. However you would not have trouble finding it preseason.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

i want one badly but gun seliction is whats keeping me i want one in regular rem bdl but they dont make it new, they offer it in the moutain rifle probably what ill settle for the caliber it has great peformance with out the pounding of a magnum
Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 PM
DM

Many years ago ibuilta 7 Express Rem.(280 Rem.) for my light weight "mountain" rifle, and it's been very good to me. I also prefer the 280 over the 270 because it will do anything the 270 willdo, and alsohas the advantage of haveing heavier bullets available if ever needed.

It's built useing a LH Rem. 700 action with a Douglas premium bbl. that i believe is21" long. I stocked it in a piece of New Zeland walnut i had around and it shoots very good. Itseems to like 145 BT Speers, andthis bullet workspretty well on deer sized game whenyou take rib shots.

Thinking back i've taken caribou, bear, blk. tails and also white tails. I forget at the moment what else.

"If" i was building another light weight rifle on a long action, i'd pick the 280 Rem. again...

Drilling Man
Old 11-09-2005, 11:11 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to get a .280 if I didn't already own a 30-06. The 7mm bullets are great and you have a ton to select from if you reload. You will love it. Especially with the new TSX!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whitearrow---- Have owned a .280 since 1963,a Model 725 Rem. with a 22" barrel. Also have one in a 77 Ruger varmint weight. It is an extremely accurate caliber for me, and I used it for many years on white tail, with great results. Have gone through the 7mm Mag craze also, and currently have become attached to the 7mm-08. Just something about the .284 bullets that simply devastate deer.
One nice thing about the .280, you can make your own casings from .270 Win., which I did many years ago, when brass in that caliber was hard to come by. It seems to be readily available today. Bullet selection is fairly wide-ranged
I would heartily encourage you to go ahead with this selection,as I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
Should you want the info on making .280 brass from .270, and also have dies for .280 and 30-06, let me know,and I'll pass it along.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

i own a 700 MR chambered for 280 Rem... i feel it is a very good round for the midwest, especially where i live in Michigan... large bullet selection if you reload... very adequate for anything around here... i can load heavy 175 gr bullets for deer, bear, elk... or i can load light 100 gr hollowpoints to reach out and touch coyote, coon, woodchucks and crows... or a number of weights in between... all around it has very good potential and this is why i chambered for it when i rebarreled the gun...

the only negative i have about the 700 Mountain Rifle is that it is light.. therefore you absorb more recoil.. and it suffers from a lot of muzzle jump... even with a heavier contour shilen tube on it

Old 11-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitearrow

[align=center]hello fellas.i am pondering the idea of getting a remington m700 custon ks in .280 remington caliber.i never hear anyone talking about this caliber.is it not accurate or something.i just want to know the good,bad or ugly about it.[/align][align=center]thanks,[/align][align=center]whitearrow->>>------------------>[/align]
The .280 Rem. is probably the BEST American non-magnum cartridge ever designed for all gameup to the great bears. The main reasons why it never got too popular are that the .270 Win. was introduced almost a quarter-century before the .280, so the .280 had a lot of catching up to do. In addition, Remington generally underloaded it so it would work in their autoloaders without straining them too much. So the .280, to be up to its' potential, really does requires handloading. It is worth the effort!! (Even Jack O'Connor, the great guru of the .270 Win., candidly admitted that the .280 was a better round than the .270!!)
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

There was a limited run of the Remington CDL in 2004. I've seen many of these at the local gun show. They are nice looking rifles and have 24" barrels.

Quick Reply: ? about the .280 remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.