Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WSM

Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WSM

What do you guys all think of the wsm. I was thinking about getting a 7mm WSM. The ballistics are just a little bit better and the bullet flies flatter. Anyways, my question is what are the advantages of the wsm? Also are they growing in popularity? Could I easily get a box of shells for it 10 years down the road?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WSM

Its hard to predict anything 10 years but Id bet that itll be no prob to get ammo for the 300 7mm and 270 WSMs. I have the 270 WSM and love it. The short action round has a couple of fundamental advantages over long action because of a stiffer bolt and more consistant powder burn. So its usually the more accurate caliber compared to the same in the long action round. I especially like the 270 because there is a void in any 270 magnums(other then Weatherby) compared to the other 2.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58 AM

The numbers DONT lie, the WSMs are THE biggest thing to hit the rifle world in several decades. NEVER BEFORE have so many mfgrs scrambled to chamber then guns in a relatively "new" class of calibers. I can't count the number of WSMs I have sold the last few years and that offering (both guns and ammo) grow almost daily.

There is ALOT to like about the WSMs. You can have a little bit smaller, lighter rifle without giving up any power or ballistic performance. Those two attributes are their biggest sellers IMHO. For the 1 or 2 gun owner I can't think of a better caliber than either the 300 or 270 WSM. For some unexplainable reason, the 7WSM is essentially DEAD! It is an abortion that is DOA! I don't understand it and neither do the mfgrs and reps I talk with about it. EVERYONE had high expectations for it but it has taken off like the Spruce Goose. Beretta even added it lastyear too the their Sako/Tika lines in expectations of it becoming a hit in Europe (America is solidly a 270 and 30 cal market, Europe is big on metric calibers especially the 7mm and 8mm varieties). But my Beretta rep told me 2 weeks ago that they are already considering pulling the plug on the 7WSM offerings. So if you want a 7WSM Sako or Tika you better rush out and buy them. They wont be around this time nextyear!

If you already have a 7mag Rem, 300Win (or even eithers Weatherby counterpart) then sure you don't need the WSM. BUT if you are like me and just are consumed with rifles and amassing an "arsenal" then why not? They are sweet guns, carry like a breeze and typically shoot VERY well. Ammo selection is growing daily and within the next few years EVERY momNpop that carries ammo will have a selection of WSMs. They simply have to because so many rifles are coming into the market and being sold. Ol Joes Gunshop in Podunk, CO may not have WSM ammo yet (I bet he does tho!) but you can rest assured within a year or two he will if he wants to survive.

The WSSMs are another story, they may or may not make it. Based on the market I have seen for them here in west TN they will be nothing more than a novelty. But the .270 and .300WSM are solid players in the market and the number of customers asking for them is growing daily. Almost too the point that for us, we don't even stock the 300WinMag anymore and our 7RemMag inventory is lower than it has ever been. We just get that many more requests for either of the two WSMs I mentioned.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get. I wouldn't hestitat getting one and you will be glad you did! In the hundreds I have sold, I have NEVER had a customer complain about or regret their purchase of a WSM!!!
RA
Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that the 270 and 300 WSM's are here to stay. I don't look for the 7MM WSM to fly very far. Sales of that one where I live are right next to Nil. As far a any big advantage of the WSM's I don't see any. The performance edge really isn't there and how much weight difference do you really get? Not much. Any weight you gain, you will gain back in felt recoil. While they are good rifles, the hype given them by Winchester is a lot of the reason they are selling well. Hype which in a large part is just not fact. Winchester is promising the old free lunch ploy and you don't get many of them. I would not discourage anyone from buying one but if you have used the 300 Win Mag and think that buying the 300WSM will improve your hunting performance, you will be disappointed.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The wsm cartridges are very good performers,but contrary to browning and winchester advertising, they do not offer performance advantages over the standard mags.The advertising skewed the ballistics by using very mild loads and bullets with lesser ballistic co-efficients for the standard mags,to make it look as though the wsms provided more velocity and a flatter trajectory.I have done a few chronograph comparisons of the 7mmremmag and 7mmwsm and the 300wsm and 300wsm and in fact the 7mm remmag and 300winmag provide slightly more velocity.The 300wsm is selling quite well in my area,with the 270wsm selling not nearly as well,but the 7mmwsm is suffering badly in sales for some reason.Unless sales increase the 7mmwsm may not survive long.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 PM

So are we betting the new 325 WSM is here to stay or will it have the same success as the 7mm? I'm in the market for a new rifle and strongly considering the 325, before I was sold on buying a 300 Win Mag.

I noticed that almost all rifles on sale this fall were WSM's, probably to give those purchasers on the fence that little push over.

I'm not 100% sold yet on them?

Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the 7 mm WSM, wasn’t there something in a flaw in the design of the case from Winchester in that the 7 mm WSM could be loaded into a 270 WSM or vise versa and that’s why they had a delay on the production of rifles and ammo? Winchester had to redesign the case to eliminate this problem and that’s why the 7 mm WSM market has been playing catch up ever since then !!!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can find no reason for the WSMs....if folks are buying them then that's good.....but for me they're more redundancy that we really didn't need.

I see no advantage in the .270 or .300 WSM over the .270 Winchester or the .30-06.

When I go to the stores here to buy ammo I don't see WSMs.....I see the old standbys. The old standbys will be there long after I'm gone.....the WSMs?....who knows???
Old 11-07-2005, 03:12 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: pse-archer

What do you guys all think of the wsm. I was thinking about getting a 7mm WSM. The ballistics are just a little bit better and the bullet flies flatter. Anyways, my question is what are the advantages of the wsm? Also are they growing in popularity? Could I easily get a box of shells for it 10 years down the road?

Thanks
I love em. But I love Short actions and have this deep belief I can work up a faster more accurate load with a short action than any long action with all other things being equal.

I have loaded for a few WSM, and it was hard to get them to shoot bad. Very dynamic. When I say dynamic, I mean, you can vary the load by 2gr and not see a huge change in groups. Also, STD dev, and spreads in velocity are much lower with the WSM's than my RUM was. I can get spreads as low as 20fps with WSM, Never seen that with my win mags or anything.

I say go for it. People worry too much about a cartridge lasting or whatever. Thats what they make gunsmiths for.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 270 WSM and really enjoy shooting it. As for is it more accurate, has more velocity, more selection of bullets, that’s not a factor for me. My 270 WSM is not replacing anything I have so it’s a fresh start and I’m liking it and especially the short action. Wouldn’t mind getting a 300 WSM but it would be more of a want then a need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.