Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Most stable scope mounting system??? >

Most stable scope mounting system???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most stable scope mounting system???

Old 10-30-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Most stable scope mounting system???

Hi all. I had some trouble with my rifle this elk season and had to use my Guide's rifle. I had a shim come out of the base of my scope mount. This is the old weaver base, rings combo in steel. It has not been the most stable.
What recommendations can you all make for the most stable and stong mounting system for an elk rifle? Mauser 1909 model in .300 win mag, blued with walnut stock if taht matters. I want strength but this is a mountain rifle as well, so weight is a factor. I am open to any suggestions regardless of cost.
okcmco
Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 PM

Default RE: Most stable scope mounting system???

For weight/strength, the Weaver base setup is about as good as it gets, frankly. Beyond that, and a LOT more costly, are the Leupold Dual Dovetails and Conetrols. Any of these are about as strong as they can get, and a lot better than the twist-in front and the rear that just sits on the base with opposing screws (Redfield and Leupold style). Since the rear ring will sorta just "sit" on the base with the opposing screws keeping it from flopping, they are POTENTIALLY the worst type, though not necessarily. In any event, if all the screws are checked regularly, and often, they all work, some just work better in the strength/weight ratio.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:13 PM

Just my opinion here but I have never cared much for the Weaver style mounts. I much prefer Leupold's steel dovetail mounts with the torx-head screws. I always degrease the scres and screw holes, then use Loctite to guard against screws loosening up over time.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:24 PM

My personal affordable favoriteis dual dovetails with Burris signature zee rings (with offset inserts if neccessary). Very solid set-up, I think scope mounting is the worst place to skimp on $$.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the standard leupold one piece bases and rings and after several thousands of rounds in various cartridges up to and including the ultramags and my 338x8mmremmag,I have never had a problem.I should add that these guns have been used for a fair amount of horseback and mountain hunting which puts far more strain on equipment than many other types of hunting.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Leupold makes a one and two piece base. This is their standard bases that use the dovetail front and windage screws in the rear. They don't make dual dovetail bases for a 98 mauser.

Talley makes a set for a 98 mauser. This is as good as it gets in scope mounting but you will pay for it. About $100+ for a set of rings and bases.

Honestly I would use Weaver Grand Slam bases and some Warne rings. This would make about a rugged combo as I could think of and still not empty out your wallet.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weaver...
Old 10-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talley makes great rings. I think that is where I'd look first.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:34 PM

So what exactally do you guys not like about the leupold base and rings???
Old 10-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing at all wrong with the Leupold dual dovetail mounts. They've always worked well for me.I just prefer a different look now. That's why Ilike Talleys and for sheer good looks, Conetrols. Both are outstanding mounts.

Quick Reply: Most stable scope mounting system???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.