Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good long-range deer calibers. >

Good long-range deer calibers.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good long-range deer calibers.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

I will agree that everyone's definition of a "long" shot is different, so here is my humble opinion. I had a 30-06 for a number of years, and it was a great gun to 300 yards, after that you had better know your ballistics tables real well. I switched to an A-Bolt 7mm Rem Mag, and I havenn't looked back yet. 300 yard shots with that rifle are chip shots, my longest shot on a deer was 527 yards, that deer ran about 60 yards and piled up. Bullet was a handloaded Hornady 139gr SST. Only complaint I have with the rifle is the 26" barrel for getting in and out of stands/vehicles/etc. If I was to do it over and buy a different 7mm, I would take a real close look at the Tikka T3s, as I have one in 243 and it is a tack driver.

Like the others have stated, just because you are shooting a bigger gun, doesn't mean there will be less tracking, 1 shot kills, etc. My 243 made a 512 yard shot on a muley in Nebraksa last year, the deer tumbled 30 yards (it was running when I shot it).

I'm not claiming to be an expert shot, I am just trying to point out if you practice and get to know your gun, long shots and 1 shot kills are feasible everytime you squeeze the trigger.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a youngster buying a first rifle -- a rifle that is intended to be used for many different game on many different kind of hunts -- it is difficult to beat the .30-06. Remember the context is flexibility here. A standard bolt action is probably the way to go.

If someone is interested in long range shooting, that is specialized shooting calling for a specialized rifle. In my opinion, you are going to have to give up something to get this special behavior -- a heavier recoiling cartridge, a louder muzzle blast, a more expensive commercial load, maybe even a heavier rifle to shoot accurately at long range.

A lot of talk is done about long range hunting, but in fact most game is taken at pretty short range. Additionally, most hunters spend precious little time shooting for practice and hence should not be blasting away at long range. You aren't born shooting well and the skill does not remain tuned and conditioned if you aren't practicing a lot. I have read articles written by guides about the skills of hunters, and it was not encouraging. My memory was that the articles agree that most hunters cannot reliably hit in the vitals at 200 yards -- that means less than 50% (5 out of 10) can hit in the vitals at 200 yards, maybe less than 10%, I don't remember the figures I read. Anyway, the statistics aren't good for the average Joe Hunter to be taking 300 yard shots. I would hate to say what percentage of my shots would hit a paper plate at 300 yards from a field position, an experiment I have not had the occasion to make.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Remington model 700 Classic in 280 Rem. I absolutely love this rifle. I don't and wouldn't shoot much past 300 yards myself, thats just me. I agree that a bolt action would be the best choice. As far as caliber go's, I think knowingthe maximum range you're gonna be comfortable and accurate shooting at will help determine what cartridge is going to be best for you. I don't think you'll ever go wrong with a 270 Win., 280 Rem or a 30-06. To be honest a 7mm-08 Rem. or308 Win. is really all the rifle I'll probably ever need. Having said that if I was starting over and buying my first new deerrifle I would probably buy a Remington model 700 CDL in 30-06. I would also use this rifle for black bear hunting in Canada, but my 280 Rem. will do this fine as well. Find a rifle that you like and then pick a caliber that will work at the range you're gonna hunt. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2005, 12:37 PM

I was looking at factory cartridge ballistics and it looks like the 7mms carry their energy way farther. I know its all about where you put the shot but at 512 yards with a .243 sounds kind of unethical. Sounds like you made the shot, but the energy would be much lower than the 1000 ft-lbs supposedly needed to make a clean kill. 400-500 yards would be a really long shot by my standards. If I practiced enough that I could hit reliably at that range the deer are definatly out that far in the fields where I can't really get much closer. 250-300 would be a "far" shot. Are there any of thosereticles that really work on long shots? Seems kind of suspicious to me.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are there any of thosereticles that really work on long shots? Seems kind of suspicious to me.
The rangefinding reticles doprovideball park estimates of ranges to the target but due to such a large variance in the sizes of big game animals,theyare notoverly accurate.A laser rangefinder is much more accurate.As far as trajectory is concerned,the reticle can be custom made to correspond with the trajectory of a certain load out of a certain rifle,in which case they can be quite accurate for that gun and load.Howeverif the reticle is a mass production unit not specific to your rifles trajectory it once again will only be a ballpark estimate at longer ranges.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ty...I think we need to back up a bit....nobody has really looked at the customer buying the gun...so its really hard to give good suggestions...

What is YOUR level of hunting experience??? How many 250 yard shots have you made on deer?? What state do you hunt in?? Do you prefer to hunt in the woods or fields??? Do you have elk, grizzly etc in you plans???
What guns do you have experience hunting with?? Will you be shooting varmits with this gun in the off season??

Until we know more about you its very hard to give good answers...
Old 10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
bigcountry

If I wanted to shoot long range at deer like 400-500 yards, I would use my STW.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

If I wanted to shoot long range at deer like 400-500 yards, I would use my STW.
I use my 7mmstws to hunt deer as well and could not think of a better cartridge for myself and my huntingconditions.However the 7mm stw is certainlynot the best choicechoice for many hunters.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

To stubblejumper, one of the problems is that most folks can't hit a barn much past 300 yds and would swear it was really 500. Paces and yards are two different things, not enough people use laser rangefinders, and I wouldventure that only a relative few hunters ever actually take aimed shots at over 300 yds. Thosethat do should be responsible enough to practice frequently at "long range", whatever that may be, and to be as accurate as possible at determining thereal distance to the critter we're shooting at before pulling the trigger.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: T-bird

To stubblejumper, one of the problems is that most folks can't hit a barn much past 300 yds and would swear it was really 500. Paces and yards are two different things, not enough people use laser rangefinders, and I wouldventure that only a relative few hunters ever actually take aimed shots at over 300 yds. Thosethat do should be responsible enough to practice frequently at "long range", whatever that may be, and to be as accurate as possible at determining thereal distance to the critter we're shooting at before pulling the trigger.
I agree fully with your post.I call my leica 1200 the lie detector since it has proven thatmany of those 600 and 700 yards shots that people have bragged about were actually less than 400 yards and sometimes less than 300 yards.My longest verified big game kill was 480 yards with a few more over 400 yards and many at over300 yards.I am fortunate to have a 550 yard range only 20 minutes from my door which is not very busy until august,so I am able to get in a great deal of practise.Unfortunately many peoplenever practise at long range but do not hesitate to take long range shots at game animals.

Quick Reply: Good long-range deer calibers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.