Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What cal. should I buy for my wife to hunt with? >

What cal. should I buy for my wife to hunt with?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What cal. should I buy for my wife to hunt with?

Old 10-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Spike

Default What cal. should I buy for my wife to hunt with?

Looking at several different rounds. 7-08, 7mm Mauser, 260 Rem
I know all will do the job on Whitetail. What would you pick or would you go with something else?

Old 10-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What cal. should I buy for my wife to hunt with?

I have owned a couple of 7mm-08's and recommend them as a fine cartridge for deer that has a mild recoil.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not overly familiar with the 7mm-08. From what I hear, it's one heck of a caliber.

That said, I love the 25-06. It's a little flatter and faster...but you'll be shooting a smaller bullet.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never owned as 7mm-08,but my hunting partner has used a Browning BL for a few years now. He's swears by the 7mm-08.My personal preference is a .270 Win for Whitetails. The cartridge does the job and the recoil is mild.Not knowing your wife's size or structure it's hard to recommend what would be good for her.You might want to consider a 243 if she is on the small size or recoil shy. The best bet would be if you know people with different caliber rifles.See if you can let her shoot different ones and let her decide what she is comfortable with. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:07 PM

my wife shoots a Rem. 243.don't get in front of her. she has always been afarid of recoil till I talked her into trying it. I lost my gun and had to get me another.
The 243 with the 100 grain PSP from Winchester in her gun does the job real well.the recoil is almost nothing(about the same as a 410) flat shooting,good killing power.

she has taken a number of hogs,7 or maybe 8 deer. none went over 50 yards.

that would be my chose. just my 2 cents,there are 98 more.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:00 PM

My wife shoots my daughters Marlin 336 in 30-30 pretty well. I hunt the thicker areas so a flater shooting caliber might be better. You cant go wrong with the Browning BLR Lever action in 243, 7mm-08 , or the 308 winchester. These are handy rifles with 20 inch barrels and the lever action is quick with a fallow up shot. They are nice looking rifles and not the same as all the other Remchesters out there.

Hornet Man

Hornet Man
Old 10-06-2002, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

i like the 308...packs a good punch but little recoil...any of the calibers you listed shold work fine too...

Old 10-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

I got my wife a 7x57 in a Winchester featherweight and she loves the gun. Recoil isn't bad and she has shot some whitetails at some pretty good distances. I shoot a 270 win, and I don't think she is at much of a disadvantage. Zeak
Old 10-06-2002, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget the .257 Roberts. There is plenty of factory ammo available, and it is a handloader's dream. It will take whitetail cleanly to any distance most of us would be willing to shoot. Easy on the shoulder, too.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting

Quick Reply: What cal. should I buy for my wife to hunt with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.