Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need some help. Encore Pistol Barrel? >

Need some help. Encore Pistol Barrel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need some help. Encore Pistol Barrel?

Old 10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need some help. Encore Pistol Barrel?

Looking ahead to next years hunting season, I have decieded to do it with my encore with a pistol barrel. Looking at elk and mullies for next year, a remote posibility I might try a moose hunt but its doubful.

I have a Stainless frame and want to keep the barrel in SS also, so thats limiting my selection a little, but I am ordering probably Jan or Feb so a custom barrel would not be out of the question.

My current list of calibers:
375 JDJ Hand Cannon, 15"
454 Casull, 12" or 15" not sure
30-06 15"
45/70 Govt. 15"

I'll probably be handloading for which one I end up getting. Probably will have it magna-ported also on whichever one I order as it will probably be needed. I am leaning toward the 375 JDJ but my dad got me to wondering if I could get the 454 Casull barel converted into a 460 S&W. Then my question following that was if I get the 454 converted for 460 S&W, would it be possible to shoot .410 Shotshells like you can with the 45Colt/410 Barrel.

The 45/70 was just on the list because I was considering a moose hunt in 2006, but I am not all to certain I want to shoot a full hunting charge 45/70 in a pistol, magna-port or not. [:@] But the 375 is probably gonna be about same in recoil since its a 444 marlin cased down to 375.

My other question on the 30-06, do you think I would get a reduced powder burn with only a 15" barrel and the smaller bore reducing the performance below some of the others.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need some help. Encore Pistol Barrel?

All of the calibers you listed would do a good job. I don't know much about the 460 yet. Don't overlook the 308 in an Encore barrel. It burns powder very well in a short barrel. The most proven caliber for the T/C is most likely the 375 JDJ. Its taken every species of big game in every country on the planet. You might check out Fox Ridge Outfitters for options.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for the JDJ. As James said, its very capable of taking any game on the planet and was developed by one of the "kings" of pistol hunting. I'd also suggest going with the TSOB mounts from SSK Industries and a very high quality scope because its a thumper!!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 PM

I checked into the JDJ cartridges but decided that I didnt want to get into those odd calibers, I didnt want to have to make my own ammo, Im not sure If you can buy it, if so I think it would be pricey. Something to think about is do you want to hunt with a "pistol" round or just a round that shoots good and fits your needs. I decided to go with the 30-06 barrel, mostly because it is more common and I already had dies brass and bullets. I cut the charge back slightly and went to a little faster buring powder, and Im sure Im not burning all the powder, and Im not sure of the velocity yet, I havent chronoed it yet, but it is accurate and will shoot well out to 200 yards, I havent tried it farther yet. All you mentioned whould work well for what you want, it just depends on what you want to shoot. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can buy JDJ ammo now but it probably is a little spendy.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thankyou all for you input, you got me to thinking about this a little more. I dont have a problem reloading, I already reload for other calibers. But I figured I better check into the componets and such.

Did a little looking,
from MidwayUSA

box of 375 JDJ's 30.00
box of 460 S&W 20.00
both out of stock though... no backorder for them at the moment...

Ok so brass then, since I can reload them...

bag of 50 - 460 S&W - 25.00 Same deal, out of stock... no backorder.
bag of 50 375 JDJ... not even listed at midway..

Of course price isnt a huge concern at this point, but if I have to hunt all over creation for a box of brass or loaded cartridges. Maybe the 30-06 would be better for the time being until the supply comes up a little, if it ever will who knows though.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:09 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 444 Marlin pistol barrel for my Encore with a factory installed brake on it, andI'm in love with that thing!! I'm like a little kid everytime I think about shootin it!
I don't have it scoped at this point but I have no problem keeping 4" groups at 100 yards with the open sights and it has no bullet drop at that range. It does pack a punch, but I've shot 20 rounds through it in an afternoon and it wasn't too bad.
I would have nodoubts in my mind if I wasaiming at an elk or moose out to 150 yards, if I scoped it maybe even farther.
There are so many options for this round if you reload, becauseyou can use any ofthe .429 bullets for the 44 mag in it. As far as factory loads, there are only afew, I've shot a coupleand they both shoot great out of my pistol.
I know this wasn't one of your choices on your original post, and I don't believe that this is available in SS, even from the custom shop. (I may have a little hillbilly in me but I put the blue barrel on my SS reciever and it looks fine to me My vote from the choices you gave us would be the 45/70. It won't hurt you near as bad as the animal you just knocked off of it's feet with that powerhouse!!
I am very interested in the 375 JDJ as well but as you guys mentioned, getting ammo and components at this point is a little tough, so maybe in a couple years I might try one.