Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Muzzlebrakes? >

Muzzlebrakes?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzlebrakes?

Old 10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Muzzlebrakes?

Hey RA, Why get a thumper if you are just gonna tame it down with a brake. Feeling the "thump" is half the fun aint it.

That's like buying a Ferarri to only drive 70mph. You gotta let it rip and throw you back in the seat. [8D]

Old 10-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last time I was at the range, I had the unfortunate experience of be being forced to sit next a shooter with a muzzlebreak.(this was due to range rules concerning specific firearms, at specific benches).

The only funny part about the situation was the fact that the muzzlebreak was on a blackpowder muzzleloader! This guy claimed it was a "smokebreak" and that it cleared the smoke out of view as soon as the shot was fired.

All I have to say is that everyone in the vicinity was very displeased about being subjected to the blast from this contraption. The only people that gathered around this gun all looked like they wanted get their hands on it...so they could thow it in the woods!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Basically, if it kicks hard enough that you need a brake to shoot it then sell it and buy something that kicks less.
I agree. But it took me many years to get smart. I have owned 2 different .338 Wmags that had KDFs on them. All the guys I hunt moose with also had them on various .300 and .338 mags. One guy now has a hearing aid and yes we always wear excellent protection at the range but do not wear it while hunting. So gradually the braked rifles are being sold off and we are moving down to 7mm rem mags which are a pleasure to shoot, don't blow out your ear drums and you know what seem to kill just as effectively as the .338s did. Will never own another brake.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:11 AM

I had one on my .416 magnum, used it at the range to get the feel of the gun. It was made by KDF and could be removed. It was very loud.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

If the recoil is the problem have you considered something like the Knoxx compstock? It is a rifle stock that has a built in recoil reducer check them out at www.cabelas.com i hope this helps chad
Old 10-14-2005, 06:18 PM

Cool I'm checking it out now.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good recoil pad such as the decellerator or limbsaver can make a huge difference in felt recoil.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I've got a KDF brake on a 300 win mag and I like it, but I have been hunting with hearing protection, usually I have a ear plug for the two way radio in one ear and a walker game ear in the other, and I have no problems. When noy hunting with others I put a walkman ear plug where the two wayradio was.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:24 AM

My 7mm is the loudest gun I've ever shot(and there has been a bunch).Now I know why I got such a great deal on it.I'll never own another rifle with a brake on it.