Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why are there such laws?! >

Why are there such laws?!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why are there such laws?!

Old 10-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why are there such laws?!

It used to be, under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (thanks, LBJ!!), that you could only purchase a firearm in your state of residence. later this was expanded to permit the purchase of long guns in "contiguous states" if YOUR STATE passed a law to permit this.

However, due to the "instant check" system, you can now purchase long guns in any state you are in if you pass the "check telephone call", and there are no loal laws trhat prohibit the purchase. NOT handguns, though! (Now, how much sense does THIS make??)

IF you insist on buyingfrom Walmart, go to one in your home of record state, and have them order what youi want. Walmart has a gun catalog that lists everything in the firearms line that they stock anywhere. Remingtons are pretty universal items. Prices should be the same......
Old 10-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jimini Thicket

I am stationed in Goose Creek, but I'm a little apprehensive about buying a rifle from a pawn shop for some reason.

Like if you are Jersian or Yorker, you have to have this silly little card for gun ownership.Like if you are Jersian or Yorker, you have to have this silly little card for gun ownership.
I'm from NY, and own and have purchased guns, and don't know what kind of "silly little card" you're talking about.
I think he's referring to the"pistol permit", which any resident of New York state must have to own or possess a handgun. NY residents (outside of NYC!!) don't need any silly cards for long guns. INSIDE the five boroughs of NYC, it is an entirely different story. IN the city, you need a permit for anything & everything!

I know nothing about NJ, except that it is even more oppressive than NY, and if you are ashooter, NJ is a good place NOT to be!!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Call the ATF and ask them. They have been very helpful for me when I come across laws I don't understand
okcmco
PS I NEVER SHOP AT WALMART!!!! don't care how cheap it is. There are more important things in life that saving 3 bucks on a 3 pack of jockey shorts.
And they know absolutely NOTHING about ANYTHING that I want to buy.
okcmco
Old 10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I think he's referring to the"pistol permit", which any resident of New York state must have to own or possess a handgun. NY residents (outside of NYC!!) don't need any silly cards for long guns.
Bingo, we have a winner

Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 PM

I see. Yes, I'd imagine that things are much stricter in NYC than upstate.

I don't really have a problem with the people at Wal-Mart not knowing what they're talking about, if I'm going to by anything important that I haven't bought before I usually do research on it myself before buying it, then look for low prices.