Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308 TOO BIG TOO SMALL??????????? >

.308 TOO BIG TOO SMALL???????????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 TOO BIG TOO SMALL???????????

Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .308 TOO BIG TOO SMALL???????????

.308 is a great caliber, and with the broad selection of bullets you can just about cover anything, coyotes-elk anyway
Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 PM

I think the biggest problem with the .308 is that when you hold it up next to a .300 RUM - or even a 30/06 - it looks pretty dinky. This probably goes on every year in elk camp around the campfire - leaving the .308 shooter feeling shortchanged and stature challenged. The performance is actually pretty good - particularly with 165 grain bullets, and within its effective range. Out to about 250 - 300 yards with a premium 165 gr. pill, the .308 is an very effective and reliable game getter. The average marksman has no business shooting beyond these distances.

You all have probably noticed that .308 Winchesters dominate the sniper rifle calibers. This is no small coicidence. One of those inherently accurate calibers that is not real fussy about loads, and is not real temperature sensitive about holding zero. Recoil is about at the upper limit of what most shooters can tolerate for extended shooting sessions. One of the greatest all around calibers ever developed . . . .
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .308 is too small for water buffalo and too big for chipmunks.
A .300 magnum/wsm/rum doesn't do anything that the .308 does within typical hunting distances except put more kinetic energy into the ground, trees, and brush behind the deer.
I use one for hunting deer.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably goes on every year in elk camp around the campfire - leaving the .308 shooter feeling shortchanged and stature challenged.
There's a reason why my wife calls H1 Hummers driven by city dwelling men as 'penis mobiles'
Old 10-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

A .308 win is only about 100 fps slower than a 30-06 so there is nothing an 06 can do that a .308 win can't. No game animal can tell the difference and I have personally taken game from deer to moose with mine.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 PM

Sidenote: This thread has wound its way in and out of elk hunting, hence my interest.

There's a reason why my wife calls H1 Hummers driven by city dwelling men as 'penis mobiles'
Get in a 40 mph collision with that H1 with your Toyota Corolla and I'm thinking his penis is going to be faring quite a bit better than yours.

Elk bullets work about the same way, heavier premium bulletsat medium to high speeds are just devastating --- a point not lost in the "elk poll."

Old 10-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lady of the evening once took a customer to her room. After a fashion the madam of the house heard laughing coming from the room and investigated and to her surprise her employee was laughing at her customer's tattoo on his love tool. It said "MIGHTY"

The madam insister her employee get to business and satisfy the customer and left the room to allow for privacy.

After a while the Madam heard screaming and terror coming from the room and again inspected the premises and when she asked what the problem was her employee informed her that when the customer got the wrinkles out of that "thing" it really said "Massachusettesinstituteoftechnology"

Armed with this analogy one could really say that the .308 has the tattoo of "MIGHTY" on it
Old 10-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew it, size DOES matter! Damn!!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 AM

A 308 can take down any animal in North America as long as you can place the bullet in the right spot. And yes a 150gr bullet is perfect for deer and it can kill elk and moose too but if you are uncertian go to the 180gr.And a 308 is no where close too small for anything, like you can kill elk and moose with a bow can't you? so I would think a 308 can do the job just perfect.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:57 AM

Vapo,

That was a funny one, I hope it survives the moderator's gaze.... More applicable to a "short mag" story perhaps, but funny nonetheless.

Once we stretch out that 308, what cartridge do you think it will magically turn into? No belt so maybe a 300 Dakota or a 300 RUM, if we swell it a bit maybe a 325 WSM! Hope it doesn'tstretch the brass too thin so as not to be ableto handle the pressure. Best bring more powder and more bullet if one does stretch it.

[BTW, Still trying to figure how the mighty fellow got the "G" ahead of the "H" and the "T" behind the "H", but most folks don't pay much attention to the details, so it still works --- great joke.]

Quick Reply: .308 TOO BIG TOO SMALL???????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.