Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best caliber for your first gun >

best caliber for your first gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best caliber for your first gun

Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best caliber for your first gun

the .30-06 is very tough to beat. The .280 is another excellent choice.

The .308 and 7-08 next...then the .270

Any will be excellent to the task.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:20 PM

7MM-08 All the Wayyy!! I am a veteran hunter who has owned just about every caliber of hunting rifle at one time or another. Stubblejumper stated "7mm-08 for deer & elk at close ranges"'. That is absolute nonsense. I have zeroed in my new Kimber 84m 7mm-08 3" high at 100 yrads with Hornady 139 Grain light magnum ammo (3,000 FPS). I took it out to the open plains last weekend and my bro and I practiced with a Leupold 100yd target at 200 and 300 yards. My bro shoots a 270WSM. We both shot 2-3" groups at 200 yds and 4" groups at 300+ yds. The 7mm-08 can flat out get the job done out to 350yds and I dare say 400yds with practice. The great thing about the caliber is that it is very pleasant to shoot and practice a lot with. even in the kimber 84m that weighs only 5.5 Lbs with a very straight stock and a 1" Pachmeyer recoil pad. The gun is awesome, prolly one of the top 2 or 3 I have ever owned and it was only $815.00!! I say ONLY, because thats a good price for a gun engineered to be 5.5 pounds with a match grade barrel and mauser claw action with a mod 70style threeposition safety with pillar bedding. its about as custom as custom will ever get from a factory gun. I will agree however, that the 7mm-08 is more of a close range gun for Elk, but not deer. I would not feel comfortable taking Elk with it beyond 200 yards. But thats because I would load it up with 175 grain bulletts for Elk. Funny thing is though, I have never taken an Elk beyond 150 yards anyway. And, most folks shouldnt be shooting deer beyond 200 yards unless they truly know their gun well and practice a lot. I hunt in very wide open country and that said 95% of the deer I have taken were within 150 Yards. You can't go wrong with any of the rounds mentioned here so far, but the 7mm-08 is a very accurate and flat shooter without a bunch of recoil. I would also consider the 260 if I were you as well. Especially if you are primarily hunting deer. You can get these rifles in a nice light gun that is a pleasure to carry in the field too. Good luck!!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stubblejumper stated "7mm-08 for deer & elk at close ranges"'. That is absolute nonsense.
I stand by my statement.In my opinion the 7mm-08 is a fine cartridge for deer &elk at close ranges,meaning a fine cartridge for deer and for elk at close ranges.I would not hestitate to shoot deer at 400 yards with the 7mm-08,but I would limit my shots on elk to 200 to 250 yards at most.Is that nonsense to you?Or do you understand what I meant now?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can easily settle this one. I had the same question years ago. The obvious answer? Nobody is ever happy with just one gun!! It's the only addiction the government doesn't subsidize. I went with the 30-06 for my first one. I didn't last a year. I bought a 7.62x54r (Russian surplus) two months later. Then the 30-30, then the slug gun. I wouldn't worry. If he continues hunting, he'll find a way to buy more before it becomes an issue.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: spencer0071

I Knowing these facts, I have been trying to steer him toward a 7mm rem mag.

Steering him to a 7mm Rem. Mag is a good choice, If... he learns to shoot it well. If he can shoot a 7mm Rem Mag. well, that's all he will need!

[/align]
Old 10-06-2005, 01:19 AM

I think you're steering him in the right direction. However, you did not say
anything about how much shooting experience he has, or if he has any issues with recoil, etc.
The 270Win., 280Rem., or 30-06 are almost never wrong. The 7mmRem.Mag. is another good choice. Any of these will handle deer & elk. If he prefers a short action then I'd be inclined to go with no less than the 308Win. with elk on the menu.
Good luck.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 7mm-08 can deliever 1200-1300 ftp of energy at 500 yards. I would hope that 500 yards would be considered long range for a game animal. I would considerate it a short range elk gun. 250 yards 1500-1700 b@ 300 yards.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:47 AM

I would definately go with the 30-06!!!! Being a grown man it shouldn't be too much recoil for him (i started shooting a 06 in my teens) unlike the magnums. And while everyone makes a good point, they forget one important thing....you can walk into any podunk store that sells ammo and I can guarantee that they have 06 ammo. They may have a box of .270 or .308 (which would be my second choice for a one gun) if they're not sold out. Bein a hillbilly from WV there's been a couple times I've been way back away from everything but a little general store, but I can always count on finding the 06 ammo.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: shepdogwv

I would definately go with the 30-06!!!! Being a grown man it shouldn't be too much recoil for him (i started shooting a 06 in my teens) unlike the magnums.
The .30-06 and 7mm Rem. Magnum have about the same amount of recoil. Not much difference in recoil when comparing those two cartridges.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:37 AM
DM

However, you did not say
anything about how much shooting experience he has, or if he has any issues with recoil, etc.
EXACTLEY!!!! "If" he's not use to recoil, i'd set him on a path to the 7-08, if he "really" is use to recoil then the 30-06 with the "right choise of bullet" is good for anything he will hunt in the U.S...

7-08 will be a lot handier rifle to carry than a 7 mag., and the 7 mag has a LOT more recoil and cost more to shoot too.

My experience has been, guys "say" they can handle recoil, but actually can't...

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: best caliber for your first gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.