Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady Light Magnums >

Hornady Light Magnums

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady Light Magnums

Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Hornady Light Magnums

I have bought 3 different types of ammo to try with my new Kimber 84M 7mm-08 they are: Remington Corlokt 140 grain/Hornadt Light magnum 139GR and Federal Vitalshok 140GR Nosler Partition. The Hornady's list muzzle FPS as 3,000 FPS!!! all others are in the 2800+ range. I am using the Chuck Hawks method of finding cartridges my gun likes. So, which ones do you all like of the ones I have mentioned only please.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady Light Magnums

I am using the Chuck Hawks method of finding cartridges my gun likes
When it comes to deer hunting (you didn't specify that) I use the Vapodog method.....I look at the pricetag.

Deer don't care too much what they get shot with.....and for me cheap is good. Try the cheap stuff and if the accuracy is ok use it.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 PM

Thats funny makes sense too.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I look at the intented use (ie: game, distance, etc) and pick bullets that are best suited to the task. The next thing is to find which load prints the best and go hunting.

Obviously you have picked up 3 different offerings, so all that is left is find which one or ones shoot the best out of your rifle. For deer any of them will work.

Best of luck

Old 09-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

I am using the Chuck Hawks method of finding cartridges my gun likes
When it comes to deer hunting (you didn't specify that) I use the Vapodog method.....I look at the pricetag.

Deer don't care too much what they get shot with.....and for me cheap is good. Try the cheap stuff and if the accuracy is ok use it.
yeah i agree. it makes me laugh when people talk about shooting deer with their accubonds and such whent core locts would do just as good at the range they're shooting at, if not better.

i don't see the point in using it. deer aren't tanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:45 PM

You could just buy the cheapest, or you could buy several & find out which one your gun likes best. I have tried several in my various rifles & have found:
1) Hornady light mags rarely group as well as somethin else.
2) I no longer waste $ on anything with balistic tips. It's not a hunting bullet I would use on anything but coyotes.
3) Custom gunmakers use only quality factory stuff to test rifles.

I could by the cheapest, but I like learning something about a new gun. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing wrong with spending extra dollars for hunting ammo if it improves your chances of a clean kill. All three bullets are up to the job as far as terminal performance goes. If the Hornadys shoot betterI would use them despite the cost being higher, I think that is the responsible thing to doas a hunter. That being said my 06 Savage shootsCorloktsbetter than anything including my handloads so far and that is what I will use this season.