Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best Turkey Gun? >

Best Turkey Gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Turkey Gun?

Old 09-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Best Turkey Gun?

Looking for a new turkey gun. I currently have an 870 but I'd like a camo synthetic gun. I saw a browning endorsed by the nwtf that I liked. Are there any other nwtf endorsed guns out there. What all do you guys like? The Browning was like 498 used at cabelas and probly around 500 is my limit. I need some ideas to look for. Especially the best barrel length, sights included, 3.5inch, etc. Please help! Thanks! Chris!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Turkey Gun?

The last turkey I shot was with a .410 3" and 7 1/2 shot.

They tell us we need a 3 1/2" 12 ga.....be your own judge.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:17 PM

I have and LOVE my Browning BPS. I like using 3.5'' for turkeys. No, you don't have to have it, but I like it. I would go with the 24'' barrel. As for camo, again, something you don't HAVE to have. Mine is the black Stalker.

You are going to get many different opinions b/c there is no "Best". Just "best" that he/she likes.

The Mossberg 835 is a great out of the box turkey gun. I had one and it was the only gun I've seen that could hold its own against my BPS (patterning).

My next shot gun will probably be the Mossberg 935. They are all personal choices. I am sure you wouldn't go wrong with any.

If you have the money, I would suggest the BPS. I know several people with them and can honestly say I've never heard any complaints and I'm not being biased b/c I have one.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:42 PM

A mossberg 835 is a great turkey gun. I love mine.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:05 PM

I really didn't say much about the 24'' barrel.

IF you want to use this shot gun for ducks, doves, skeet, or anything like that. I would buy a good pair of ear muffs if you go with the 24'' barrel. They are loud.

I love the 24'' for turkey hunting b/c its one shot (most of the time), so it doesn't bother ya. It is also great b/c its lighter and easier to hold up for long periods of time. Also easier to move around in the woods.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't have that great of an experience with the Mossberg 835. I sold mine. I thought it was too heavy and mine didn't pattern all that great.

I don't think that you need 3.5" for turkey. 3" is just fine and kicks less.

I would vote for a Stoeger 2000. I have one now and I couldn't be happier. It is a great gun and it is made by Benelli and costs about $400.

Tom
Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 AM

STAT,

You are the first person i've heard say anything about a 835 that didn't pattern well. They are actually known for their patterns. I had one with a 24'' and it patterned like a monster. Only gun of mine it didn't out do is my BPS.

I sold mine too, but it wasn't b/c of the pattern.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:55 AM

Take a look at winchesterguns.com. They have several that has been endorsed. I am looking at the model 1300 Buck and Tom gun myself.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a used Remington SP10 last year for less than $400. So many people are going to the 3 1/2" 12 ga. for waterfowl hunting, it is not hard to find a good used 10 ga. for a decent price. I have used a 3 1/2" 12 ga.for years on turkeys and just bought the SP10 for kicks and grins. I bought a Hastings XXFull tube for it and when I patterned it I was AMAZED! With #4's it will put 18 pellets in the head and neck on a turkey target at 65 yds. I have killed four birds with it so far with the farthest being 45yds., he rolled like a tire. Just a little food for thought.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll throw another vote for the 3.5" Browning BPS. Mine is a Stalker model with a 28" barrel and a Rhino choke. The patterns are amazing.

Quick Reply: Best Turkey Gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.